Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First recipe: Belgian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
lwcm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First recipe: Belgian Imperial Stout

Hey all,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I am new to the hobby and have one brew that I'll be bottling this weekend (Brewferm Abdji). One of the reasons I got into brewing was to brew up a Belgian Imperial Stout similar to Weyerbacher Brewery's Tiny. My two favorite styles are Belgians and RIS's so it's like they had a tasty 11.5% ABV baby . Anywho, I had an idea for a recipe that I wanted to run past the MUCH more experienced eyes here.

Extract recipe:

Fermentables:
12 lbs dark malt syrup
2 lbs Dark candi sugar

Specialty grains:
0.5 lbs Simpson's Roasted Barley
0.5 lbs Simpson's Black Malt
0.5 lbs Simpson's Chocolate

Hops
2 oz Summit (1.75 oz 60 min, 0.25 oz 0 min)
2 oz Cascade (0 min)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale

My (limited) understanding is that the Belgian 'taste' comes from primarily the yeast and secondarily from the candi sugar. So I basically yanked the Imperial Stout recipe from Northern Brewer and substituted a Belgian yeast and added candi sugar. Is this a gross over simplification?

I look forward to any and all comments......unless they are extolling the virtues of all grain or partial mash over extract brewing. That's in the cards but not feasible with our small apartment kitchen at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
ashmgee
Recipes 

thats a big beer....

Old 10-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you substitute the candi sugar for LME? Or just add it to the recipe? If the RIS recipe calls for 12# of LME I would probably do 10# LME and then 2# of candi syrup rather than just adding the candi syrup. Then again I don't really know what I'm doing, so that could be bad advice.

I say go for it. Either way you definitely want to do a yeast starter or use 2-3 smack packs (or more?) for a beer that big.

Secondary:
Kegged: Nothing :(
Bottled: Blonde Lambic (Aug 2012), Berliner Weisse, Oaked Tripel Brett, Dawson's Kriek, Sweet Mead

Old 10-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
lwcm
Recipes 

I added the candi sugar to the recipe. I figured that the combination of the sugar and the belgian yeast would give the belgian-y flavor to the already present RIS flavor. I could be VERY wrong though . I also thought that the extra sugar to munch on would add some kick.

On reading some other RIS recipes I was wondering about adding other stuff like licorice or dark chocolate to the brew....

Old 10-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
tmurph6
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29thfloor View Post
Did you substitute the candi sugar for LME? Or just add it to the recipe? If the RIS recipe calls for 12# of LME I would probably do 10# LME and then 2# of candi syrup rather than just adding the candi syrup. Then again I don't really know what I'm doing, so that could be bad advice.

I say go for it. Either way you definitely want to do a yeast starter or use 2-3 smack packs (or more?) for a beer that big.
First thing I thought...good resource http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html for your pitching rate calculations.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 AM   #6
lwcm
Recipes 

Brewed this yesterday with two alterations to the recipe:

1 lb of dark candi sugar (thought i had two but found out I was wrong as the boil was going....oops)

Instead of Wyeast Belgian Strong I used their Trappist High Gravity, I also made a yeast starter for this big ole beer.

A bit over 24 hours later and it's bubbling right along. I rigged a blowoff tube at the outset and I'm glad that I did. A 2 quart pitcher half full of water resting inside my 4 gallon brew kettle to make SURE no beer escaped onto the floor.

I'm planning on following the instructions for timeline on the NB kit that I have adulterated so I'm looking at one month primary, 2-3 months secondary and 4 weeks bottle conditioning. So.....i'll find out in a WHILE if i screwed this up or not. OG was 1.100 so this should be a butt kicker of a beer when it's all done.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

How did this turn out?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
lwcm
Recipes 

Still waiting to find out Chess. I transferred it to secondary right on the one month mark during a VERY busy brew day (transfer to secondary, brew and pitch another batch on the cake, and bottle a batch, oy) and it's been in secondary every since. I have about one good day a week that I can use for brewing activities....and anything else that crops up. So, much has cropped up and it's been secondary-ing for over 4 months.

When I changed the airlock out I took a reading and as of 2ish months ago it's sitting around 13.5% abv. I plan on bottling on Monday (fingers crossed) and tasting my first bottle in a month. It smells AWESOME.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Nice! I'm hoping to get started on mine pretty soon so it'll be ready in time for winter. What gravity was yours at when you checked? I'm trying to decide whether to use any simple sugar or not, I don't think I want it to ferment TOO dry with all the roastyness.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
lwcm
Recipes 

Bottled the batch today in 22oz bombers and a six pack of 12oz. This was my first time with the bigger bottles and I LOVE bottling in bombers! Cut my time waaaaay down. Which given that they are almost 2x the volume as regular bottles isn't surprising .

OG 1.100 FG 1.010 so that's an ABV of 11.7% Flat it tasted yummy, alcohol had mellowed, roast was there but subdued, a tad dry.

In hindsight I freaked out a bit prematurely during the brew day. First gravity reading when it landed in the carboy was around 1.250-1.300 (can't remember but it was a BIG number) and the potential alcohol scale on my hydrometer was reading in the 15-20% potential alcohol range. This being my second brew I freaked and started to dillute it out till I got to the 1.100 number. AND I didn't save the wort either......poured some down the sink in my attempt to dillute. Yeah....dumb.

So I'm going to try this again and leave the wort the heck alone . I am pondering adding 0.25-0.50 lb of Special B for another layer of complexity. But I may just brew it straight.

Quick Reply