Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Non-Kit Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 03:45 AM   #11
Fat Guy Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to wait another week before bottling, but check your hydro readings. I am usually about 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary before bottling.

Its a great jump to stop buying kits and start buying raw ingredients to make your own recipes. There are good kits, it just adds a whole other level of fun to create your own recipes IMO.

CF
Owner, Brewer, Taster

Brewing: IPA
Fermenting: Oktoberfast
Aging:
Drinking: Fat Guy Porter, Fat Guy Tire, AJ's Raspberry, SWMBO Slayer
Up Next: Xmas Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
dshaggy
Recipes 

I bottled it up today, as the gravity hadn't changed from a few days ago and there wasn't any activity in the airlock. I carried my carboy outside, set it on the picnic table, and started getting my bottles and bottling bucket ready. By the time I got everything ready to go, I noticed that the airlock had started bubbling again (it had been stopped for at least three days previous to this). I was kind of hesitant to bottle then so I went and did some other stuff for a while to see if maybe it would stop. After about an hour, the bubbles did pretty much stop and I bottled it. The carboy was sitting in the sun, and was about 10 degrees warmer then where it had been inside. Also, I thought maybe the moving around could have caused some of the activity in the airlock. What do you all think?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #13
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You were just witnessing CO2 leaving the beer due to the temperature difference and shaking the beer up a little... no big deal.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #14
dshaggy
Recipes 

Ok good. I kind of thought so, but a small part of me couldn't stop thinking that I was making bottle bombs...

Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #15
dshaggy
Recipes 

Ok so none of these have blown up so far....The beer is good. There is a hint of honey, but the flavor is lacking somewhat. It seemed to clear up really fast after bottling, but is a little dry. Is this because I used pacman yeast? Just curious. The beer isn't bad by any means I just wish some more flavor would have been left behind after fermentation.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4949 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaggy View Post
Ok so none of these have blown up so far....The beer is good. There is a hint of honey, but the flavor is lacking somewhat. It seemed to clear up really fast after bottling, but is a little dry. Is this because I used pacman yeast? Just curious. The beer isn't bad by any means I just wish some more flavor would have been left behind after fermentation.
It's probably the honey. Honey fully ferments, so no residual sweetness is left behind like when you use malt. As counterintuitive as it seems, adding honey thins and dries out a beer, while malt extract gives it body and residual sweetness. Pacman yeast is very attenuative, too, but my bet is on the honey.

(By the way, next time, keep the carboy out of sun. Even a short time in the sun can cause some skunking of the hops. Throw a box over it, or keep it in the shade, if you're going to take it outside).

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply