Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Imperial Stout - thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
mattyg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Imperial Stout - thoughts?

I just brewed this on Monday (6/18) & got an OG of 1.072. It's got crazy, crazy activity going right now in my 6.5 Gallon carboy. It plugged up my airlock with foam & beer so I had to install a blow off tube. I will report back with a reading when I go to Secondary. This is my first dark beer, anything I should be aware of?

* (2) 3.3 lbs Cans Munton & Fissons Old Ale Kit
* 3.3 lbs Can Munton's Light Plain Malt Extract Syrup
* 1/2 lb Roasted Barley
* 1/2 lb Black Patent Malt
* 3 tsp gypsum
* 2 oz Nugget Hop Pellets
* 1 oz Cascade hops leaves
* 1 cup dry light malt extract for priming
* (2) pkgs Irish Ale Yeast
* (2) pkgs dry yeast from Ale Kits (added during boil for more yeast food)
* 1/2 tsp Irish Moss
* 2 Tbs yeast nutrient

P.S. This is my first post. Hi to all - I took a hiatus from brewing for several years but now I'm back in the game.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Just a couple of comments.
First its a little small for an RIS but still a big beer so this is going to take time to age. Expect to leave it in the cellar for 6+months.
Second making a starter is easy and much less expensive than using 2 packs of liquid yeast. Its also probably more effective.
Yeast nutrient is probably not needed for beer. Everything I've read says that wort contains everything the yeast needs.
Let us know how it turns out. Its interesting you used a no-boil kit and added malt, grains and hops. An unusual way to create a recipe.
Craig

Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
mattyg
Recipes 

Yeah, I would've used a starter but I wanted to get it done that day. FWIW, this recipe is an adaptation of the Armenian Imperial Stout in Papazian's book.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
mattyg
Recipes 

Any thoughts on how long this particular beer should remain in Primary? I'm thinkin about a week but the secondary could be more like month or so.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It all depends on the FG. A couple/three weeks in the primary isn't going to hurt a thing, regardless. And if you can spare the carboy, try bulk conditioning it in the secondary for a couple months, then bottle. To be safe, you might add a bit of dry yeast in the bottling bucket when you prime to help it carbonate (but it is rarely necessary).

Then store the bottles in the cellar for up to a year. Most of my stouts peaked at 6 months or so (or somewhat longer).

Old 06-22-2007, 03:39 AM   #6
mattyg
Recipes 

What is "bulk conditioning" mean? I assume it means to condition "in bulk" or all at once in a carboy as opposed to in bottles.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Yes, correct!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg
Any thoughts on how long this particular beer should remain in Primary? I'm thinkin about a week but the secondary could be more like month or so.
I would think 2-3 weeks in the primary would be a good idea to ensure complete fermentation. A month in the secondary is probably sufficient because this isn't that big of beer. I would start sampling it after 1 month in the bottles just to see how it changes. At an OG of 1.072 it on the small side of RIS so it probably won't need the 6 months to years to age.
Craig

Old 06-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron
I would think 2-3 weeks in the primary would be a good idea to ensure complete fermentation. A month in the secondary is probably sufficient because this isn't that big of beer. I would start sampling it after 1 month in the bottles just to see how it changes. At an OG of 1.072 it on the small side of RIS so it probably won't need the 6 months to years to age.
Craig
Yes, you are correct that it will be very drinkable after a couple months. However, the OG isn't the primary concern here for a stout. Rather, it has a lot to do with the grainbill. This recipe has a lot of dark roasted grains, and they take time to mellow. At one month, I am guessing this beer is going to have some harsh bitter undertones from the dark grains. At two months they will become subdued. Give it another month or two and it will be mellow and nicely blended.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #10
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You mentioned bottles. Big Big Big consideration to make there. If you intend to bottle carbonate, you will need to bottle much much sooner than what anyone here is talking about. Before I give a really lengthy answer, is that what you are planning? Bottle Carbonating?

Quick Reply