Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First full 5 gal boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
2nd Street Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default First full 5 gal boil

Well I'm doing my first full boil so I can try out my new immersion chiller. Bringing 6 gal to boil right now. Only problem is dam it is F'n windy today. I have to stand guard over the pot to keep leaves out. Had to go today since they are calling for rain tommorrow.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Next time you are at the hardware store, get a small window screen or a piece of metal screening.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I've got the chiller going now, the leaves weren't as bad as I thought but getting the wort up to boil was longer than I thought. Also, memo to self, bag the DME. I buy in bulk and had a big old bowl of it to spoon in, the wind wrecks havoc with DME . Managed thought so all is good. After getting this cooled down have to pick up flowers for the wife for our anniversery since I'll be going out tonight. Have to cook wings at the firehouse for our pizza and wing night.

edit: chiller working great, down to 90deg in 10 min

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Do you have a lid for your pot/keggle? That really helps getting the boil going, just keep an eye on it!

Quick Reply