The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Extract Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
Purebloom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Pitched at 73F.
Stirred the yeast in good (that was the only aeration I did for the wort)
I'm nearly certain I put the lid on tight, but I'll have to double check
6.6lbs of Plain Light Malt Extract, 1lb Crushed Crystal Malt 60L, 8oz Crushed Victory, 2oz Northern Brewer Hops, 1 oz Cascade Hops, 1 Nottingham Beer Yeast (dry)
I haven't taken any readings except for the OG.

I'll check on all these things this evening and see where I'm at.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #22
onecolumbyte
Recipes 

Don't be in such a hurry to write it off. As BeirMuncher said it could be DONE by now. Next time you open the lid get a gravity reading. This will tell you how the beers been doing.

Must be tough having the fermentor at you brothers. I ferment in a glass carboy and peek at it at least twice a day. In the morning and when I get home from work. I head a story about a guy who hooked up a web cam so he could watch the brew from work!

Don't worry about you mistakes. The carmalized sugar on the bottow was the biggest but nothing we haven't all done. You'll come to find that it really pretty hard to mess up the brew. After all those ignorant monks did it with 0 science and no internet!!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #23
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purebloom
Pitched at 73F.
Perfect

Quote:
Stirred the yeast in good (that was the only aeration I did for the wort)
You have to absolutely stir that wort up into a frothy frenzy...at least that is what I've found.

Quote:
I haven't taken any readings except for the OG.
You're a more patient man than be. My first extract, I swear I was checking the reading every few hours...like some sort of mad scientist. I kept a rediculous log like I was finding the cure for baldness or something.

It was fun though and surprizingly, I didn't contaminate the brew and it tasted great.

Wondering what the heck is going on with your primary is a good reason to get a better bottle or glass carboy (my preference) so you can watch the process. Just make sure and get a 6 1/2 gallon so you don't have to futz around with a blow off tube.

Oh yeah, dumb question but...did you put liquid in your air lock?

Old 03-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #24
Purebloom
Recipes 

I did put liquid in the airlock and I do a have a glass carboy that is my secondary. I would be checking it more if it wasn't at my brother's house!

It's torture! I definitely have learned that I can no longer brew there or store my brew there. I am very curious and I haven't been able to get down there to check it out, and he hasn't really checked it much for me.

Although an additional glass carboy for a primary could/would be nice.

I think if nothing has happened I will stir it like crazy and wait another 24 hours and then repitch... and still if nothing has happened I will then look at it and cry (and then start my next batch).

Last edited by Purebloom; 03-17-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #25
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've found that pouring the wort into my bucket once it has cooled is enough to aerate it; not sure how well this would work with a carboy though.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #26
nardonir
Recipes 

Use the glass carboy for your primary next time. Rock the hell out of the carboy to aerate. Be patient...

And yes, I actually hooked up a webcam to my first few brews to watch it at work.

Also, you dont have to boil so hard. You just want to see a little motion in the wort, not vigorous bubbling. Boil too hard and you will boil off flavor from the hops.

All in all, you are doing ok. Just be patient...

Nardonir

Primary: Apfelwein, Col. J's Coatimundi Bitter Ale
Secondary: Nada
On Tap: Stout, Fat Tire Clone, Scottish Ale
Ageing: Traditional, Peach, Blackberry, Raspberry, Blueberry and Strawberry meads (2 years)
Future: BARLEYWINE!!!!! Phat Quail Ale, more mead

Old 03-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #27
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
I think if nothing has happened I will stir it like crazy and wait another 24 hours and then repitch... and still if nothing has happened I will then look at it and cry (and then start my next batch).
Take that gravity reading.

You may be stirring and pitching and crying over a beer that is finished fermenting.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #28
Purebloom
Recipes 

This is after 79 hours. I don't know if this is how it should look, but it looked good and smelled amazing to me! The gravity reading was 1.020 and it started at 1.045. The starting gravity on the recipe was supposed to be around 1.050 -1.055. And the ending gravity says it should be 1.012 - 1.015. So, should I let it sit for a couple more days? And then transfer to the secondary or will it be ready to bottle?

Thanks to everyone for the advice thus far! I appreciate it, it certainly makes my first batch a lot easier with great suggestions/comments.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:42 AM   #29
Whelk
Recipes 

Definitely more time, primary fermentation takes at least a week, usually more. I'd wait for at least 9 days, then shift to secondary. Or if you're only doing primary, ferment for 12 days. Make sure the gravity hasn't changed for at least 3 days, then you can bottle. Patience, patience--do not ruin the beer (and make two cases of bottle bombs), let it go!

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 AM   #30
Purebloom
Recipes 

Good thing I asked! Thanks for the advice.... I wasn't sure because my instructions say anywhere from 3-7 days it should stop bubbling completely and if the gravity reading is what it "should be" then to transfer to secondary or get ready to bottle if not using a secondary.

Quick Reply