Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First brewing experience( fail?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

It'll take more than 2 weeks,more like the minimum of 3 weeks stated on here. Sometimes more,depending on the gravity/style. My pale ales usually take 3-4 weeks in the bottle. They're not just carbonating,they're aging as well.More time is better. But will vary by gravity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #22
Fencemaker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Being your first batch, you'll be lucky to make it to 2 weeks without sampling your beer. But, hey, it's your beer! Just keep that 10 day old bottle in mind when you open a two month old bottle so you see how well it has matured.

Go with your gut and what you've read as far as developing your own processes but keep in mind that bubbling is not a reliable indication of fermentation; use that hydrometer! And most of all, RDWHAHB.

Can I mambo dog-face through the banana patch?

Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #23
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3692 Times on 2274 Posts
Likes Given: 3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler914 View Post
Today was bottling day. all in all I think it went pretty good. I had a friend from out of town help while he was here... the only thing I THINK I had a problem with is, while bottling I noticed the brew was a little hazy. Im not sure if its because of mixing everything up, or if its because maybe I didnt cool the wort down fast enought. But from what I've read, the haze you get from not cooling the wort fast enough is strictly an asethetic thing.

2 more weeks and I'll be drinking my own brew!
Yes, it's purely aesthetic, but you will eventually want to take care of that. By far, cold crashing is the best solution.

Your beer will start becoming drinkable/carbonated in 1 week if conditioned above 70F. I suggest you give one a go at that point. At 2 weeks, game on. They do get better over time, but go ahead and find out for yourself. Don't let anyone tell you there are any rules. There aren't. That's part of RDWHAHB

RDWHAHB

Old 07-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
mttaylor1066
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Well, imho, that haze you see is just stirred up yeast and left over trub. It will settle to the bottom of your beer bottles in a week or so.

The haze you've read about is the coagulation of proteins and peptides (have I got that right guys?) at low temps... like refrigerator temps. Warm up the brew and the chill haze dissipates as the bonds between protein and peptide are loosened. Unless you are bottling in a refrigerator, the haze you see is stirred up solids.

One thing I do is fill a clear bottle and use that as a "barometer" of how the bottled beer is progressing. I also "QA check" the beer after a week or ten days by opening a bottle. It should "pop" a little when you crank off the cap... and will taste pretty good.

The third week is when you really get good pressure in the bottle and foam will result. Also, after three weeks, chilling the beer for a few days in the fridge will make it even foamier. Has to do with the physics of space, pressure and temps.

I'm dying to know how your beer turns out, actually.

1066 -- The Year of the Norman Conquest

Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #25
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

Chill haze isn't stirred up solids,it's a "fog" created by proteins at low temps. It settles out in a couple of days & the beer will be crystal clear again. The beer should be clear after a few weeks conditioning at room temp before going into the fridge.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #26
Fencemaker
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
don't let anyone tell you there are any rules. There aren't. That's part of rdwhahb

rdwhahb
+10

Can I mambo dog-face through the banana patch?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
Skyler914
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttaylor1066 View Post
I'm dying to know how your beer turns out, actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Don't let anyone tell you there are any rules. There aren't. That's part of RDWHAHB

RDWHAHB
Even though its only been a week, last night I put a bottle in the fridge because I was gettin curious/impatient. Earlier this afternoon I remembered it was in there and decided to go ahead and give it a shot. IT WAS AWESOME!! I had my friend who is still visiting give it a try and he agrees! It still technically has another week to go, but now I'm starting to get over those 1st batch jitters.. I can't wait to start getting some more brews under my belt and having fun.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #28
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3692 Times on 2274 Posts
Likes Given: 3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler914 View Post
I can't wait to start getting some more brews under my belt
Increase your exercise with your brewing or that's where those extra beers will stay.

Cheers!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #29
mjkopp
Recipes 

I would say the temp is a little high to pitch the yeast! I pitch at around 68-70* and slowly bring down the temp to 66-69* I have made lots on mistakes and all my beer has came out just fine!!
Just let it sit as long as you can wait b4 you bottle.. 13-20 days ok. One thing you will learn is the airlock will not tell you any thing about whats going on in your beer! Have fun and drink a home brew!!! kophop

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS