Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First brew is looking good.. :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #1
Ridemywideglide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First brew is looking good.. :)

Well after my beginner mistakes, (see previous post) I think my beer is really looking good. Excellent if I may say so myself..

I bottled last week, and though it still has a slightly green flavor, the 2 I had tonight really taste like a great stout.

I'm going to let it sit (if I can,lol) for another 3 weeks before calling it done.
I did notice;
The strong carmel/chocolate/coffee smell that was so great coming out of the fermenter has changed to the more bitter, old coffee smell, and lost alot of the sweetness. BUT, the bitter 3 week old coffee flavor out of the fermenter has become much more carmel/coffee. I'm hoping that a few more weeks in the bottle will bring out more of the carmel/chocolate. It definately has smoothed and mellowed ALOT.. I'd rather be drinking it young that drinking the corona I have now..

I've got a wheat in the fermenter since last sunday now.. Is it going to be ok to leave it in there until next weekend? I don't have any bottles ATM so I have to leave it.

Thanks
Brad

Last edited by Ridemywideglide; 11-05-2007 at 03:06 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

yes its fine to leave the wheat. if you wanted, you could leave it in primary 3 weeks, then bottle like normal (skipping secondary).

that's a common practice for brewing hefeweizen, which doesn't/shouldn't be a really clear beer.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply