Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Brew Fermenting...What Next???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
TwoHeadsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First Brew Fermenting...What Next???

Well, I had a terrific time brewing my first batch yesterday! I used a pale ale extract recipe recommended from the LHBS, and as of this morning it is bubbling away happily with 2 inches of krausen . So now while I wait to bottle this batch, I have some time to kill and I'm thinking about my next recipe.

I think I want to brew up an american-style wheat beer, or maybe even an IPA. I think a wheat would be better since SWMBO likes those and is wondering why the hell I dropped $200 on a home brew kit! I've seen a couple recipes out there and I'd like to brew one that has some obvious citrus notes. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Watch the temp. on your first batch. Low to mid sixties is good, no higher than

Old 03-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

There are lots of recipes in the database. Check them out as I am pretty sure you can find one acceptable. >> http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Gary

Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
There are lots of recipes in the database. Check them out as I am pretty sure you can find one acceptable. >> http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Wow, the first one in the list...Citrus Weizen looks good! I currently don't use or even have a secondary fermenter. From what I hear, you aren't supposed to use a clearing vessel for wheats anyway. If I ferment this in the primary for 2-3weeks at 65F would that be acceptable and produce the correct flavors for a wheat beer?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
Wow, the first one in the list...Citrus Weizen looks good! I currently don't use or even have a secondary fermenter. From what I hear, you aren't supposed to use a clearing vessel for wheats anyway. If I ferment this in the primary for 2-3weeks at 65F would that be acceptable and produce the correct flavors for a wheat beer?
Yep, I saw that it may be what you were looking for. I am not a big fan of wheats but 2 to 3 weeks should work fine.

Gary

Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ed's Haus Pale would be good, too. 'Course not many people have brewed that one around here.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
Ed's Haus Pale would be good, too. 'Course not many people have brewed that one around here.
I was looking at that and it sounds good, but I don't have the equipment to do AG or partial mash. I think I'll go AG someday, but I'm going to have to make some damn good beer before SWMBO would go for another $400-500 on brewing equipment.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
I was looking at that and it sounds good, but I don't have the equipment to do AG or partial mash. I think I'll go AG someday, but I'm going to have to make some damn good beer before SWMBO would go for another $400-500 on brewing equipment.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Just get some ingredients and brew something. From experience I've learned that if you wait to make more, you'll become frustrated after your first is gone. You'll be proud of it and give away a bottle here, a couple there. The neighbor, co-workers..........everyone is curious!!! Just get something else simple going. My first batch after four years out of brewing will be transferred to secondary tomorrow, and I'm detirmined this time to keep the hobby going and the beer coming. I got stuff tonight for an amber, which I'll brew after work tomorrow and put on the cake from the APA. Later this week I'll order stuff for a hefe, and next week I'll have every fermenting vessel I own (one 6.5 plastic primary and two 5 gal. secondarys) full of beer. Once I get a 6.5 carboy with blowoff and stuff to make starters I'm going big!! I love big IPAs and belgian dubbel/trippels. I don't see mashing in my furture, as space is at a premium here on the lake, but you never know. The wife is telling me she wants to build me a pole-barn with heat, a work area for vehicles, a kitchen for brewing , sleeping quarters, bathroom....etc....etc.. Not sure how to take it but at least I'll be able to make beer

Quick Reply