New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Brew- American IPA extract!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
whathits14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Update on the brew! It has been a little over a week, and the yeast appear to have finished the bulk of the fermentation. Should the fermentation be over this quickly? Also, if anyone has brewed a similar extract kit before, how long would you leave it in the primary to clear and develop before bottling? I have read advice ranging from 1-3 weeks after fermentation finishes, for 2-4 weeks total time. I do not have an additional fermenter, so a secondary fermentation will not be possible, but I would like to time the bottling such that any active yeast have enough time to clean up after themselves, but soon enough so that deceased yeasts do not begin to taint the taste of the beer.

P.S. Anybody brewing up in northern California close to Humboldt State?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathits14 View Post
Update on the brew! It has been a little over a week, and the yeast appear to have finished the bulk of the fermentation. Should the fermentation be over this quickly? Also, if anyone has brewed a similar extract kit before, how long would you leave it in the primary to clear and develop before bottling? I have read advice ranging from 1-3 weeks after fermentation finishes, for 2-4 weeks total time. I do not have an additional fermenter, so a secondary fermentation will not be possible, but I would like to time the bottling such that any active yeast have enough time to clean up after themselves, but soon enough so that deceased yeasts do not begin to taint the taste of the beer.

P.S. Anybody brewing up in northern California close to Humboldt State?
The bulk of fermentation can easily finish in that amount of time. I leave all my beers at least three weeks in the fermentor. So, if I were brewing this beer, I'd give it another two weeks in the primary before bottling. Dead yeast won't be an issue for a LONG time.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
whathits14
Recipes 

Another 2 weeks or so sounds good. The beer smells a little on the sweet side. Is this normal and will it lessen with more time in the fermenter, or do you think I should add some additional yeast?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I wouldn't add any yeast at this point. If you have a hydrometer you can take a reading and see where it's at. It's likely near or at its final gravity, but only a hydro can really tell you for sure.

I normally take a hydro reading after a couple of weeks to make sure everything looks good. I then take a reading a week later, right before bottling, to see if anything has changed. If not, and it's in the expected range, I bottle.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:11 AM   #15
whathits14
Recipes 

Update on the brew:

It has been two weeks since wort has been sitting in fermenter, so I thought it would be a good time to take a hydrometer reading. I did not take an origional reading, but the kit instructions estimate ~ 1.069. The hydrometer read 1.012 (How does this look for an IPA?). Also did a tasting of the beer...it was definitely a little off in flavor. Not sure if it was the aluminum, or if the beer just needs a little more time to age out and mellow...Also it tastes a little light in flavor for an IPA, but again, maybe it just needs more time. I am going to leave it in the fermenter for another week then take another hydro reading and bottle. As a last note, there is no activity in the airlock...should I leave it as is and bottle in a week or would it be worth looking into either repitching or maybe adding some yeast hulls?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I'd say at 1.012 you're looking pretty good. If it hasn't moved next time you read it, you're probably ready to bottle. Don't worry too much about any off flavors at this stage. Once you bottle it, give it three weeks to carb and then sample one. Even then, it isn't always as good as it can be in another couple of weeks.

No activity in the airlock can be a good thing at this point. It could mean that the main fermentation is done, which is good, but, the airlock is not the best indicator of that. The hydro reading gives you a more complete picture and yours looks fine. Just because the airlock isn't moving it doesn't mean the yeast are dead or even dormant. They're still cleaning up the beer, but the main fermentation is over. Based on what you've said, I see no need to repitch any yeast at bottling time. Your situation is pretty much the same as every batch I've ever made and, so far, they've all carbed up just fine with the yeast that was still in suspension when I went to bottle.

Last edited by Shooter; 08-03-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #17
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Nice choice for a first brew. My first was an American IPA as well.

Did you use steaping grains for this batch??? I didnt see that in your ingredient list. However, if you arent happy with that particular recipe and want to give an American IPA another go try this:

Steaping Grain: (45 min at 150-158 degrees)
.75 lb Crystal 45L
.25 lb Buscuit Malt

6.6 lbs Gold Liquid Malt
1 lb Ex Light Dry Malt

1 oz Chinook at start of 60 min boil
1 oz cascade at 20 min before end of boil
1 oz Centennial at end of boil (I usually add at 5 min before boil end)

Yeast: WLP001 California Ale (Pitch at 65-72 degree aerated wort)

Fermentation: 7-10 days at 65 degrees

Dry hop in secondary fermentor (rack from primary) with 1 oz Cascade plugs for 7 days at 65 degrees.

Bottle and let condition at room temperature for at least 30 days.

I have had fantastic results with this recipe courtesy of my friendly neighborhood homebrew shop proprietor Alex at http://www.hopsandvines.net/index.php

Good luck with your first homebrew!

Last edited by ThickHead; 08-03-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
whathits14
Recipes 

Yes the kit used some steeping grains...1 lb of dry crystal malt I believe. Steeped the grains while bringing up temperature, but I think I might have let it get too hot...hopefully it didn't break everything down, but we will see. I am about to bottle in a few mins here, and will do another (final) hydrometer reading and then small taste test to see if any of the funky flavors mentioned earlier cleared up.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:37 AM   #19
whathits14
Recipes 

Bottling was a breeze! Wound up with 2 full cases of beer in the bottles, a little less than expected but certainly a plentiful amount. Two more weeks...

Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #20
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathits14 View Post
Bottling was a breeze! Wound up with 2 full cases of beer in the bottles, a little less than expected but certainly a plentiful amount. Two more weeks...
Let us know how it tastes. This is definitely my next kit.

Quick Reply