New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Brew Amber Ale Input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
mtr6188
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew Amber Ale Input

So i just transferred my first brew to secondary about 3 days ago. Its a Amber ale. It had a nice amber color after being in the primary for about 8 days. And then i transferred it to a Secondary carboy. After 24 hours of being in the carboy, i noticed about a half inch of black on top of the beer. Now 3 days later, about 3/4 of the Carboy's Beer is black and the very bottom portion is still a dark Amber/brown color. Is that normal for some beers to do that or is something wrong with the batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
01TRV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

how well did you sanitize? got any pics, doesn't sound good

Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 640 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Your beer is fine. What you are seeing is the yeast clumping up and settling to the bottom. The nice amber color you saw earlier was from the light reflecting off the suspended yeast. Now that it looks dark its because the yeast don't reflect any more. When you pour it into the glass it will be amber again.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
mtr6188
Recipes 

attached is a picture of it, not the best, but where my finger is at is where you can kindof see the split in color. its alot more in person.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
01TRV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good point RM, "black" is not how I would describe what it does when the yeast settle out though. To me its more like the cloudiness gradually gets lower and the top gets more liquid looking.

yeah, pic looks fine

Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
mtr6188
Recipes 

alright thanks. its my first batch so ive just been worrying since brew day. haha

Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 640 Times on 536 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtr6188 View Post
alright thanks. its my first batch so ive just been worrying since brew day. haha
You need something to take your mind off this brew and how it is doing. How about you buy a plastic bucket fermenter and another kit and start the next batch. It's legal to have more than one brew fermenting at once, you know.

I brewed a half size batch of Belgian With on Tuesday and a half size batch of pale ale today and I have an Irish red in the third fermenter that I may bottle tomorrow. Did I mention this hobby is addictive?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
mtr6188
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
You need something to take your mind off this brew and how it is doing. How about you buy a plastic bucket fermenter and another kit and start the next batch. It's legal to have more than one brew fermenting at once, you know.

I brewed a half size batch of Belgian With on Tuesday and a half size batch of pale ale today and I have an Irish red in the third fermenter that I may bottle tomorrow. Did I mention this hobby is addictive?

Im trying. haha. As soon as i put that in the secondary i made a Double Hop IPA, and as soon as i put that in another secondary this saturday, well, time to start on my third one which will be a milk stout. haha. This is turning into a weekend thing already and i havent even drank my first homebrew yet.

Quick Reply