Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
mawa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Brew!

Hello all! Very interesting forum, have gotten a lor of great information reading the posts!

I have just brewed my first batch (fat tire clone) and have a couple of questions.

I decided to buy a "better bottle" insted of a glass carboy for a secondary (I choose the Better Bottle because it easier to transport) What dou you think about Better Bottle's?

Also, I made a mistake when ordering the bottle, because of my inexperience I ordered a 6 gallon instead of a 5 gallon. Will I have a problem whith the secondary fermentation using the 6 gallon bottle?

Any help will be appreciated!
Mawa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
sconnie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have no idea what the "better bottle" is, but i can tell you that using a 6 gallon as a secondary won't be a problem. You could also use it as a primary for something like cider or mead!

currently brewing:
Meridian IPA
On Tap:
Bohemian Pils
Bottled:
-Baltic Porter
-Belgian Brettanomyces Amber

Old 11-01-2006, 02:14 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I love my Better Bottle. Did you get the spigot option? I highly recommend it. Personally, I'd never buy one smaller than 6 gallons. Some folks don't like "head space," but I don't see a problem with it whatsoever.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:50 AM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The 6 gallon won't be a problem at all. Let me know how you like the better bottle because I think I want to get a 6.5 gal for primary instead of glass.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 11-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
I love my Better Bottle. Did you get the spigot option? I highly recommend it. Personally, I'd never buy one smaller than 6 gallons. Some folks don't like "head space," but I don't see a problem with it whatsoever.
I agree about the spigot, it bumps up the price significantly but is well worth it.
Better Bottles rock!
Just don't dump anything really hot in them, they will warp! Also if you are racking from one using the spigot and forget to take the airlock off the top it'll slowly crumple up like a crushed beer can. Pop out the airlock and it pops back into shape...kinda cool actually, but can't be good for the bottle.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I've been curious about reducing the headspace in a situation like that. Would it be possible, when racking to a 6 gal secondary, to add a very small amount of extract/priming sugar?

I'm thinking that a small 'secondary' fermentation will push the oxygen out of the extra headspace, thus reducing the chance for oxidation.

Would this work?

Old 11-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tell you what works better, but you need a CO2 source. Just release some CO2 in the bottom of your secondary prior to racking. CO2 is heavier than air and will gently climb up as the volume increase in the secondary. Keeps air out and thus helps prevent oxidation. Not a lot, but some.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
Tell you what works better, but you need a CO2 source. Just release some CO2 in the bottom of your secondary prior to racking. CO2 is heavier than air and will gently climb up as the volume increase in the secondary. Keeps air out and thus helps prevent oxidation. Not a lot, but some.
That's a great little nugget to store away. I had no idea you could do that. Too bad my 20lb tank is out of date.

Quick Reply