Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Batch Under Way!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #21
chrisdaman77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I agree with you on the not using one with a spigot but this was all I had access to atm besides a glass carboy which was is going to be used as the secondary. I know it is not required with this specific brew but it is an optional step I would like to do simply to allow any sediment to settle and be able to see it happening. I know I could have accomplished this simply by using the carboy initially but that would have required a long carry back to room from the kitchen and simply I don't want to drop that bad boy. Soon enough I won't have to worry about that...hopefully.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
chrisdaman77
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Out of curiosity since I am going to be taking a gravity reading within the next couple days and the fermenter has a spigot can I just crack it open enough to fill the tube or should I siphon some out. The valve is only going to be cracked a bit since I am only letting out a little bit and shouldn't disturb the sediment at the bottom.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
chrisdaman77
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to give a small update. Just racked to the secondary. As soon as I opened the lid I stuck my nose close to the bucket and wow I got slapped. Anyway took a reading and it is at 1.010 for abv of 4.9 which is higher than expected (max was supposed to be 4.75). The color was, to me, just right in the test tube, a little darker in the carboy but still smelled good.

image-1160495013.jpg   image-661715639.jpg  

Primary 1: Brown Ale

Primary 2: White House Honey Porter

Primary 3: Empty

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Weizenbier, Dunkelweizen, Amber Ale, Octoberfest

Keg: Red Ale

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #24
darin_e
Recipes 

you're probably fine. it might take a little longer to start. the only time i have had trouble with yeast is when i pitched it with wort too hot. then i just added more and it turned out fine.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #25
chrisdaman77
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Planning on bottling this Saturday. Kind of wish I had not racked to secondary since the more I read on here suggests if you rack to secondary 6 gal there is going to be a lot of head space that should be topped with CO2. Will have been 9 days in secondary. I will not be doing it again since from what I have read it is a thing of the past. Oh well live and learn.

Chris

Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #26
darin_e
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdaman77
Planning on bottling this Saturday. Kind of wish I had not racked to secondary since the more I read on here suggests if you rack to secondary 6 gal there is going to be a lot of head space that should be topped with CO2. Will have been 9 days in secondary. I will not be doing it again since from what I have read it is a thing of the past. Oh well live and learn.

Chris
Go by the taste. If the tradeoff is between no secondary and too much headroom in secondary, I would go with the latter. I have gotten funny tastes before from leaving beer on the lees too long. Just see what happens -- I bet it will be fine.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #27
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Just let the yeast compact on it's own. Racking over is not really necessary. You will rack it again when you transfer to the bottle bucket. Let the yeast really settle to the bottom. Off flavors can develop from leaving the beer on the yeast too long. However the small volume of beer we use as home brewers does not put as much stress on the yeast as large professional fermenting tanks.

Let it sit...Fermented wort tastes like watery malt juice...but once it bottle conditions there will be magic. It's gonna be an okay beer.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS