Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Finings Kill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
daz01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Finings Kill?

Hi all...So I'm a noob, and have just started on my 3rd brew. My first was a nut Brown Ale, as per recipe, and seems to have turned out pretty darn nice. Now, a have a brew in my one carbouy, of Black Rock Bock, but what I have done as per my Brewcraft friends comments, added Coppertun enhancer number 20, as well as an extra half of Safale, and about 400gms extra of dextrose to try increase my ABV a bit to about 5% as thats where I usually enjoy the strength of a good ale or lager. However I tested my Bock 2 days ago (4 days into the brew), and the ABV was 3.2% (worked out on hydrometer as per OG-FG x 131.25) What I also might have done premature (if I ams still hoping to get a little extra fermentation) added finings to clear the beer up a bit. I am going to check the gravity again tonight, but my question is: If I'v added finings before all fermentation has taken place, will it stop the fermentation all together?

Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Why even bother taking a gravity reading 4 days in? Wait a week more (or two) before taking another reading.
As far as the findings go, it shouldn't be a problem. Stuff like Irish moss is added during the boil from what I understand... Though others will have more insight than me on this.

Drinking: Orange Saison
Bottle conditioning: APA
Fermenting: RIS

Old 07-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I've used Irish moss during the boil as well as gelatin and polyclar later on in the fermenter and have never had a problem with them.

bosco

Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Mozart
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 14

+1 on waiting. A week is good. Two might be better.

Also, kettle finings, like Whirlfloc or irish moss, shouldn't make much difference.

Gelatin, from what I've read, can make a difference if that's what you're planning on using. It does pull yeast (and other things) out of suspension. While I understand enough yeast should be left in suspension after its use to carbonate beer, I personally wouldn't try using it until I were certain primary fermentation had completed.

Drinking: Hefeweizen
Carbing/Conditioning/Aging: Nothing
Fermenter #1 (6.5g): Empty
Fermenter #2 (6.5g): Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops
Fermenter #3 & #4 (1.0g): Empty

Quick Reply