The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Filtering Wort from Boil to Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just filtered my last batch on Monday. It caught a lot of loose hops and other matter. That being said, when I drained the wort into carboy, it was straight from boil pot, into funnel with strainer and then into carboy. It left a foamy head when I put the airlock on. Two days later I had a big mess inside my fermenter chamber,not sure if this was the cause, but it was the first time. I liked doing the straining part, but maybe next time I'll put a hoe on the bottom of the fumnnel so I get no splashing into the carboy

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #12
richlong8020
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well I primary in a bucket so I have never had a blow out that way. The only blow out I had was a ferocious IPA I did primary in a 6 gal carboy. What a mess. Either I don't make explosive brews or it's the carboy way of fermentation.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I listened to a podcast with Jamil and Palmer and they both recommend leaving as much trub behind as you can. I use whirlpooling followed by a 30 minute rest

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
Bryali
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use 2 mesh balls for my pellet hops--some call it a tea ball, or a spice ball, or a hop ball. Both of them easily hold 3/4oz and leave plenty of room for expansion. 1oz and it turns into a solid ball of mush, so I have to be careful. For transferring to primary, I use a filter screen on the inside of my kettle on the weldless conversion. I put a LARGE strainer (sanitized, of course) in the top of my brew bucket. I also just picked up a reusable fine-mesh nylon filter that I'll use in conjunction with the strainer. This system will allow me to keep ALL the wort without all the trub. It also works to aerate the beer before pitching the yeast.

As far as extra work, I don't think it's significant. I load the hops into the s/s mesh balls and dunk them into my kettle for the boil at their respective times. The boil pushes the wort into and around the hop balls and gets adequate utilization based on what I can tell. The filter screen is inside the kettle and filters without any work from me. The strainer in the bucket takes approximately 2 seconds to grab off my sanitized drying rack and drop in the top of my bucket.

I'm happy with the results and will continue to strain my beer.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Cicada
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have only done 2 brews so far, so my sample size isn't great but, I have been decided to try a strainer for the transfer. For the first brew I just tried to pour slowly to keep the trub from making its way into the fermenter, and it was a huge pain resulting in a ton of trub that I feel like caused me to leave a ton of beer in the fermenter when transferring to the bottling bucket.

The second brew I jury rigged a strainer from a colander and my sanitized grain but it filled up so quickly that this process seemed to take for ever. I bought a strainer to use for my 3rd brew, so we'll see how it works out.

Is there any real benefit to having a ton of trub in the fermenter?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #16
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicada
I have only done 2 brews so far, so my sample size isn't great but, I have been decided to try a strainer for the transfer. For the first brew I just tried to pour slowly to keep the trub from making its way into the fermenter, and it was a huge pain resulting in a ton of trub that I feel like caused me to leave a ton of beer in the fermenter when transferring to the bottling bucket.

The second brew I jury rigged a strainer from a colander and my sanitized grain but it filled up so quickly that this process seemed to take for ever. I bought a strainer to use for my 3rd brew, so we'll see how it works out.

Is there any real benefit to having a ton of trub in the fermenter?
Ive made about 10 batches so far and have not strained out the trub. I was inquiring about this to see about reducing the trub in the bottom of my primary. Less trub might mean slightly more beer??? Maybe.

Haven't tried it yet but will try it for a few batches and see what happens.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #17
ChrisVZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Why not make filtering a moot point and use a fine mesh straining bag to keep most of the hop matter from getting into you wort in the first place? I started doing this on my third batch, and won't go back to not using one. I still get some sediment in the bottom of my kettle. More often than not I dump sediment and all into the primary with no ill effects.

Quick Reply