New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Filtering Wort from Boil to Primary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
richlong8020
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Filtering Wort from Boil to Primary

Hey all

Just wondering if it is recommended, needed, etc to pour the wort through a mesh screen to filter out the trub (spelling) before pitching yeast and primary starts.

As always your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I am currently brewing a Cherry Wheat from MidWest. If its a good idea then I will incorporate it into my brewing process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lots of brewers run the chilled wort through a strainer, but it was discussed in this podcast and seems it is largely personal preference: http://hw.libsyn.com/p/9/f/e/9fe3c8a167e9e543/bbr02-23-12trubres.mp3?sid=0fd807f154343afb600d6561010179b2 &l_sid=18257&l_eid=&l_mid=2918645&expiration=13358 15910&hwt=e95847af962be0bad7f50d2b55ecabff

Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I leave most trub behind but that is just the way my setup works with my diptube I drain from. When I extract brewed I would just dump all that crap in there. Never was worried about it. Plus, if you get a really crazy vigorous fermentation all that stuff goes flying around in the carboy and it's fun to watch.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
stikman33
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I filtered when I went from cooler wort to fermenter. I counted it towards my aeration! Actually I decided to do it somewhat last minute, so I had my grain bag I had just cleaned. I threw the whole cleaned bag in some sanitizer, rinsed it with some boiled water (my preference, not required depending on your sanitizer) and put the strainer over the top of my primary. I them poured the wort through the filter, pulled it off the bucket, then poured it a bunch more times to aerate it. Worked great and beer came out clear and clean!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
JoshJoshua
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use hop pellets directly into my kettle without a bag, so when I transfer from kettle to carboy I set a mesh food strainer in my funnel to catch all the hops and any grains that got sucked through my manifold.

Before I used to leave about 3 cups of wort behind in the kettle, now I get every drop. Dont know if it's made a difference though, since I havent made a duplicate batch to judge.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use mostly pellet hops and whirlpool before draining my BK through the CFC to my carboy. Some trub gets through but not much. Then I rack to secondary after fermentation is complete. Usually, 7-10 days.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Not needed at all. I use a hop spider to keep the majority of the matter from those going into the rest of the wort (to keep it out of my plate chiller). I get as much of my lovely wort into my fermenter as I can. That includes the stuff at the bottom. I run the wort directly from the plate chiller (in it's final pass) into fermenting vessel without any filtering elements at all.

There is a thread where someone let the wort settle in the kettle and pulled the clearer stuff off the top into one fermenter and then put the rest (all-in) into another fermenter. Using the same yeasts and everything else the 'clearer' batch ended up more cloudy in the end, with less flavor. The 'dirty' wort ended up clearing much better and had more/better flavor to it.

Basically put it all in and then RDWHAHB.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
There is a thread where someone let the wort settle in the kettle and pulled the clearer stuff off the top into one fermenter and then put the rest (all-in) into another fermenter. Using the same yeasts and everything else the 'clearer' batch ended up more cloudy in the end, with less flavor. The 'dirty' wort ended up clearing much better and had more/better flavor to it.

Basically put it all in and then RDWHAHB.
That's pretty interesting, I wonder if there were any other variables involved. Personally I've only strained twice, and it didn't seem to make a difference, so I stopped worrying.

Which I suppose is why that's the best motto
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Wow this is amazing. I will grab a strainer on my next visit to my LHBS. Looks like its a sound idea and a little less trub to clean at the end of primary. I also like the idea of a cleaner secondary (especially if dry hopping).

U guys are great.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #10
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate View Post
That's pretty interesting, I wonder if there were any other variables involved. Personally I've only strained twice, and it didn't seem to make a difference, so I stopped worrying.

Which I suppose is why that's the best motto
You got it... IMO, those that think they need to go through all these extra steps (whirlpooling, filtering, straining, etc.) are just giving themselves more work for no better end results. Just as racking to secondary is not necessary for 99% of brews made with ale yeast. That 1% difference is for moving to an aging vessel for things like months on oak (or other woods) additions. Dry hopping is easily done either in primary or serving keg. I actually like the results when adding the dry hops into serving keg.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
ianskate Likes This 

Quick Reply