New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Filter Finished Wort Through Steeping Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Kaerous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Filter Finished Wort Through Steeping Grains

I have been considering straining or filtering my wort ever since I have begun having trouble with clogged kegs. I was wondering if it would be possible (and beneficial) to filter my finished wort through my grain bag that I used for steeping. My thought was that it would filter out a lot of the leftover solids as well as impart some final grain flavors into the wort.

What are the thoughts on this? I haven't been able to locate any topics on it.

- Kyle Grupenhof -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
emiller0408
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaerous
I have been considering straining or filtering my wort ever since I have begun having trouble with clogged kegs. I was wondering if it would be possible (and beneficial) to filter my finished wort through my grain bag that I used for steeping. My thought was that it would filter out a lot of the leftover solids as well as impart some final grain flavors into the wort.

I like the idea....might start doing this myself. I'd say as long as the bag is properly sanitized you wouldn't have a problem.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
boysbrew2012
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

use a siv or funnel + screen ...my method is when ready for bottling, I rack to another carboy and filter using screen+ funnel method 2-3 times before I actually bottle it to ensure I get the cleanest looking beer possible. Works great with Dry Hopped IPAs as you get all the crap outta the finished product. All that is left is the yeast residue from the priming sugar...give it a go I recommend it

Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
jb3218

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaerous View Post

How are you adding your hops. I use a muslin bag for my hops instead of just tossing them in. This has made a huge difference in having cleaner wort. It has no effect on the hops' flavor. Also I use a funnel with a screen inside when I transfer to the carboy. This is especially useful when you get to the bottom of your primary and lower the siphon into the stirred up trub.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
BBL_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 250

I don't think using left over steeping grains is a good idea. I think you'll be risking infection. Have you tried a paint filter bag? There have to be better options.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
PackerfaninSanDiego
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have tried the funnel strainer method and it's a pain in the ass. The strainer gets clogged to quickly. may think about trying a nylon steeping bag

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, wink!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Don't ever let grains or any grain debris touch your finished wort!

Grain is noted for having lactobacillus and stuff on it- which is fine, since you boil the wort after steeping them. But then, don't let the boiled wort touch anything unsanitary afterwards.

If you want to strain your wort, the easiest was is to buy a "paint straining" bag from the hardware store, or a very big mesh nylon bag from the homebrew store. Sanitize that, and line your fermenting bucket. Pour the wort in there, and then lift out the bag. Of course, once fermentation occurs you can't do that, because you'd ruin the beer by oxidizing it, but for wort it will help oxygenate it.

I don't strain my wort, but if I was going to, that is how I'd do it. If stuff is clogging your kegs, I'd look at process rather than straining the wort more. You shouldn't ever have "chunks" in the finished beer, although occasionally I've had some hops debris from dryhopped beers.

Quick Reply