Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > FG too high.. Fermentation stuck?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Puff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default FG too high.. Fermentation stuck?

Hey everyone, I just want to start by saying I did use the search feature and read a lot of info.. maybe too much.. now I am confused.

I made an AHS Orange Creamsicle Ale extract brew kit. I used White Labs Cream Ale Yeast Blend and made a 1000ml starter. The estimated OG was supposed to be 1.056 but I ended up with OG 1.062. It has been sitting in the primary for 5 weeks now. I went to bottle today and the FG was at 1.022, the estimated FG was supposed to be 1.011.

So.. I panicked a little and before reading up on what to do I thought it would be a good idea to re-pitch with some Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast that I had sitting in my fridge. The wyeast was from a washed yeast cake and I did not make a new starter when I re-pitched(probably a horrible idea)

To top it all off I had already added my priming sugar and the vanilla powder that came with the kit to 2cups of water and boiled and cooled it before I took my FG reading.

So my questions are did I screw up my brew by adding the American Ale yeast?

Should I add the sugar+vanilla to the brew and let it ferment out more to not waste the vanilla or should I just buy more vanilla powder?

I am still new to brewing.. this is only my 5th extract brew attempt and my first stuck fermentation so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any replies!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 53

No, adding the yeast won't hurt anything and it won't likely lower your FG any either. Hold that vanilla sugar to the side until the 1056 clears and then bottle. Yes, your FG is high, but after 5 weeks it is what it is.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
planetscott
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

1.022 is not that bad. It's not what you wanted either.......My advice, brew another batch!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Puff
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess ill just wait another week for the American Ale yeast to clear and then bottle.

Can I take the sugar/vanilla water I mixed and save it for a week in the fridge then re-boil it for my priming sugar? Or should I buy more vanilla powder and priming sugar and redo it in a week?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
planetscott
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Was it costly to make the sugar/vanilla mix? Are you strapped for space in the fridge? If so, save it. If not, make a new batch....Either way I don't see a problem.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
RiffMagnum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not saying it's ok, but you're not TOO far off the mark, since you're OG was .006 higher to begin with. It might not even be stuck, just done.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
smithn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do some searching there is a lot of information on calibration of Hydrometers and temperature effects. Was their any specialty grains?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What is the room temp of the fermenter. If not at 75 F already then I'd try to get it warmer starting with about 3-5 degrees up.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Puff
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithn View Post
Do some searching there is a lot of information on calibration of Hydrometers and temperature effects. Was their any specialty grains?
I am going to go get some distilled water today and test the calibration on my hydrometer, my first 4 brew attempts I hit my OG and FG numbers almost exactly so it didn't dawn on me that the hydrometer could be off.

Grain bill was:
8oz Flaked Corn
8oz Pale Malt 2row
4oz Carapils Malt
8oz Caramel/Crystal Malt
7lbs Pale LME

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
What is the room temp of the fermenter. If not at 75 F already then I'd try to get it warmer starting with about 3-5 degrees up.
I have a ghetto ferm box I made from a cardboard box and bubblewrap and blankets and a heater blanket so my temperatures do fluctuate a bit.
For the most part it was between 64-69 degrees for the 5 weeks. I thought I was supposed to keep it around 68, I didnt know it should be more like 75. I will raise the temp up today.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would bump it up 3 degees to start for a week. That yeast is supposed to be good to 70 F but if it is not moving, and your almost there, then I'd bump it up a little. I have had stuck batches that unstick in the mid 70's with no flavor issues.

Quick Reply