Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > FG question -> Muntons Irish Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Nierika
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default FG question -> Muntons Irish Stout

Last night I racked my batch of Munton's Irish stout to a secondary (It was in the primary for 8 days) The instructions said the final gravity should remain constant below 1.008. My reading was 1.022 at 73°. Is this something to be concerned about? I broke my hydrometer druing brewing, so no OG reading I pretty much followed the recipe but with the addition of 1/4 coffee grounds when the wort was cooling. I rehydrated the yeast before I pitched it, and by the following morning the airlock was chugging along @ 1bubble/second. It did seem to slow down a bit by the following day. It it possible that the fermentation is stuck??

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Yes it is possible.

1008 is to low for a stout IMO but 1022 is way too high. Is this the first reading ou took? If so give it 3 days more and try again.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Muntons extract is fairly fermentable.. I wouldn't be surprised if it finishes dry. Really your FG will depend on what your OG was and the attenuation rate of the yeast. I mean if your OG was 1.040 then 1.008 is totally normal. Likewise, if the OG was 1.090 then 1.022 would be totally normal.

What was the recipe? If it was a small beer and you used something like Nottinghams... I could see it chewing through 30 points of sugars in ~2 days.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Reply