Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > a few questions before I start my first brew....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #31
RMS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

These kits seem really cool, and I like the bar charts they use on the side of the box!

Happy Thanks Giving!

bar-chart.png  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #32
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Big News!

I just got a new can of LME in the mail! And this time I am pitching at 68 degrees and using SafaleUS-05 and (no corn sugar this time) just the can of the LME and 6cups of light DME. This time though I also chilled 5 gallons of spring water.

My OG = 1.042 (approximately since I don't have a Hydrometer test jar yet) then I just sprinkled in my yeasts with a light stir on the surface.

.....and 24hrs later Activity in the air lock is a bubble a second.

In the mean time I been enjoying some Lowenbrau and just collecting my next batch of bottles, though I just noticed these bottles are only 11.2 Fl.Oz and its 5.2% ABV..........

Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #33
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1934 Times on 1697 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

Yeah,Euro bottles like Paulaner are generally 11.2oz,or something like 330ml. I also use Fransiskaner bottles,but they're 12oz. But the German bottles always seem to work the best for me for some reason.
I like how midwest kits list all the ingredients,including grains used & amounts. Makes it easier to tweak on later batches.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #34
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well it seems that my second batch came out much better than my first; It's still early yet but I think my first batch ended up having the dreaded twang to it. Been mixing a few in with commercial Ale.

My second batch has no twang but its a tad bit sweet so my third batch will be using some hops. I am thinking its time to get the Midwest kit now that comes with the whole deal.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1934 Times on 1697 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

If it's a bit sweet,it might not'ev attenuated fully. Malty beers with little or no hops will also taste that way to the uninitiated.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #36
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update.....Its been about 3 months since my fist brew and maybe 2 on my my second batch. Both need improvements but the first one the English bitter seems to mix well with other ales so I been doing half with the (Samuel Adams Boston Ale + my English bitter); my 2nd batch with some Budweiser ......sad I know; and to me it seems the Bud quality is a bit poor lately not sure why. But when I think about it I have really never found a commercial beer I could say was great so I can justify this as saying this mix of beers is all in all not bad.

Quick Reply