Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > a few questions before I start my first brew....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
RMS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default a few questions before I start my first brew....

Hey guys,

I have my first beer brewing kit on the way and I am excited! But I have a few questions, and here they are:

How many cups in 1Kg of corn sugar, is it 4 or 5?

Should I substitute the 1Kg of sugar and go with DME instead? If so how much and what color?

I would like a ABV of 4.0 - 5, 6 max.

Craig on you tube says if you double the LME to still add 2 cups of sugar, if not then use 4-6 cups of the sugar. What do you guys think? Here is the kit:

Reason: was .....I am looking for a ABV of 5.0 min

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
revco
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Welcome to the craft! Glad you're excited to brew!

Dry weights are difficult to accurately measure in terms of cups or other volume based measurements, which is why you'll commonly see them measured as weights in a recipe. When something calls for "16 ounces"...they're not talking about 2 cups, but rather an actual pound of whatever it is. It'll probably be closer to 5 cups, though.

I found I wasn't a fan of adding sugar to increase alcohol, rather LME or DME. Your taste may be different, so I'd probably suggest you find out. If you're intent on adding DME, I believe it's pretty close to pound for pound. (Someone check me, going from my faulty memory.) If I remember correctly, both sugar and DME are both pretty close to 1.045-1.050/lb per gallon. Generally, depending on style of course, pale extract is the preferred approach. When modifying a recipe, you want to try to keep the color and gravity fairly close to the original.

I can't make any suggestions on how to handle that kit specifically. I generally recommend trying the recipe as intended and only modify it if you feel you can make it better.

Good luck with your brew day!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

DME is 1.044 and sugar 1.046 per lb per gallon. I haven't done much with extract or kits so not sure what to tell you there. I suspect the sugar is to help dry it out and give a lower FG as DME (from what Ive read of others experiences) tends to finish closer to 1.020, the style you're making to fit guidelines, would finish 1.007 to 1.011

Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I hear you on the weight to volume conversions its not always so simple to convert and why my web search gets mixed results. I do agree an feel it is closer to 5 maybe 5+ cups. I ask because I bought 4lbs of the corn sugar and I don't have a scale to properly weigh the correct amount.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2539 Times on 2209 Posts
Likes Given: 1821

If the can is 1.7kg,that'll be about 3.7434 pounds. I use a 3lb bag of plain DME for Cooper's cans,the light one. Comes out around 1.050OG. Amber orange color. Add maybe 2oz of English flavor hops to balance out the added DME. Should be around 5.3%.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My local hardware store has some brewing supplies so I will pick up some DME.

I may just stick to the stock recipe for my first batch just so I can get a taste of it that way first, then plan the next one a little better. It's going to be interesting for me to see how this turns out!! I should get my KIT today.........

Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I've done the first one as is before. The Cooper's English bitter was one. That one was darn good as is. Especially with pit bbq's smokey rich flavors. Blends real well.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
.....Especially with pit bbq's smokey rich flavors. Blends real well.
I'm hungry.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Me too,made me hungry again re-reading this thread. That EB was pretty good for a Cooper's can.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #10
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finally started my first brew earlier today. I think I made a few mistakes like the wort was at 80 degrees when I pitched in the yeast and that was like after waiting 3 hours for it to cool down enough first. So I just hope I did not contaminate it by letting it stay partial exposed for so long.

I ended up using:

(1.8KG LME) + (3 cups of light DME) + (3 cups of corn sugar) to 5.5 to 6 US gallons approx.

......and about 5 hours later a bit of activity in the air lock.

Quick Reply