Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > A few questions??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
acesb422
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I understand what you are saying. I am going to be doing a stout before this brew, and I guess i need to buy a carboy anyway, so I guess I will just buy one.

Here is another question, If i used all Light DME , instead of 3 of light and 3 of Wheat, would it be a clearer beer?? And what would it do to the taste???? Also, what if you used a light crystal would that affect the caramel taste???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008, 01:54 AM   #12
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I dare say you are not necessarily going to get a straight answer over the course of this thread
Where I'd bet the "over" and guess there'll be at least two straight answers -- polar opposite, but straight answers each.

Rick

Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesb422
I understand what you are saying. I am going to be doing a stout before this brew, and I guess i need to buy a carboy anyway, so I guess I will just buy one.

Here is another question, If i used all Light DME , instead of 3 of light and 3 of Wheat, would it be a clearer beer?? And what would it do to the taste???? Also, what if you used a light crystal would that affect the caramel taste???
Well, if you use DME instead of wheat DME, it might be clearer, but then it won't be a beer with wheat in it. So it will change the taste, the look, and the texture a bit. A lighter crystal will also affect the taste some.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #14
acesb422
Recipes 

I am not trying to be difficult I am just trying to get a grasp on all of the different ingredients, because I would like to try to make something that is my own and get away from the extracts!!

Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesb422
I am not trying to be difficult I am just trying to get a grasp on all of the different ingredients, because I would like to try to make something that is my own and get away from the extracts!!
There is an all-grain recipe posted, too, if you don't want to do an extract batch.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #16
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken

Recipes 

Quote:
I would like to try to make something that is my own
Making something of your own is all well and good, but you started the thread saying you wanted to try a particular recipe. If you change it dramatically it won't be that recipe anymore, so you won't be trying that recipe. Swapping out the wheat will change it dramatically.

Quote:
and get away from the extracts!!
Not sure how swapping the wheat for light DME gets you away from extracts. A common path would be to move to a partial mash (what I intend to do down the road) then go all grain.

Rick

Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #17
Scotty_g

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Vanilla source

I recommend this vanilla:
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysdoublestrengthvanilla.html

It's double strength, so you can use half as much. It's not cheap, but it's the good stuff. You can spend less to get a container of single-strength or a smaller bottle, but we make a lot of VCCA...so I got the big bottle.

Also if you bake between batches of homebrew, this vanilla is delightful for that as well.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 02-25-2008, 12:47 AM   #18
Chip
Recipes 

I put 10 gallons of this in secondary this afternoon. Looks wonderful with a final gravity of 1.014. I used the vanilla from Costco. It was about 6 or 8 bucks for a full 16 ounces - 35% alcohol as well. Same ingredients as the bottle my wife got from the dollar store, I just trust Costco quality better than Dollar Tree.

Quick Reply