Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Festa Brew Pilsner : Proper process

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
cstacey44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 27

Default Festa Brew Pilsner : Proper process

Hey All,
I've decided to take a crack at my first beer using Lager used (Saflager S-23). FYI: Festa Brew kits are basically just 23L of pre-made wort + yeast. I've been reading a ton of (sometimes conflicting) information on the net about how to treat lagers, just wanted to run through my process and make sure I wasnt missing anything.

Basically, Im planning to leave the lager in a sealed primary fermenter for the entire process, as I've read that secondaries are unnecessary. After pitching the yeast, I left the primary in a warmer room (~70F) for 2 days. Ive since moved it to a colder room, and have been using a swamp cooler to try and keep the temps <60F.

Im basically planning to leave it in the swamp cooler for a month or so (will check SG after a month), then move it to the warm room again (dicetyl rest?), before bottling.

Am I missing anything here? Is there any point racking this to a secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 57

There seem to be a million and one different temperature profiles for lagers. The one that I like is from the Stella Artois process. I can't find the link, but essentially you ferment for 3-5 days at 50. The low initial fermentation temps keep the flavor profile clean. Then bring it to 70 for the diacetl rest. (2-3 days or until FG is reached) This lets the yeast clean up their DMS and other flavor compounds associates with fermentation as the yeast go into hibernation. Then cold store/lager just above freezing for at least a couple of weeks.

EDIT:
Here is a great link. roll way down and look at diagram F
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...menting_Lagers

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
cstacey44
Recipes 

Ahh, thanks for the link! According to this, I will do the Dicetyl rest in about a week (depending on SG), and then rack to a carboy for maturation. I think im going to have to do the cold-conditioning in the bottles, since I dont have any extra yeast.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
cstacey44
Recipes 

The only thing I cant quite decide on with the pilsner, is when to bottle/carb the beer?

Should I bottle directly after the Dicetyl rest, carb for a week, then lager the bottles? Or, should I rack to a carboy after the 'rest', and let it mature for a while?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you have enough bottles I would recommend using them for bottle conditioning directly after the dicetl rest. Especially for a pilsner which can taste quite nice when young. You'll have at least two weeks (likely three or four) of ageing while it carbs up.

cstacey44 Likes This 
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
cstacey44
Recipes 

So let me run this by you.

I would leave my lager in the primary for ~2 weeks (whenever target SG is reached), dicetyl rest for 2 days. Then bottle / carb for 2 weeks. After this, I move the bottles into a cold environment to cold condition them for a month?

Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

They may benefit from a month of cold conditioning, but they should be very drinkable before that. I would carb at about 60-65 for two weeks, then move them the the fridge for 1 week, and then give one a try. You could leave them in the fridge, or take them out to condition longer if you want.

cstacey44 Likes This 

Quick Reply