Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Fermentation Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
DrewsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation Temp

Hi All,

I brewed an extract IPA this weekend. I used The White labs Burton Ale yeast. They recommend 68-73 optimum fermenting temp for this yeast. I've never used this yeast before so I just went with it. I have a small space heater in the room I keep my brew in and set it to about 70. Well, walked in room yesterday and its 74 in there. What can I expect from fermenting above the recommended temp?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4281 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Well, room temperature isn't really that important- it's the temperature of the fermenting wort that should be within those guidelines. Do you have a stick on thermometer on the fermenter? An aquarium stick on thermometer works well.

Sometimes the temperature of the fermenting wort is as much as 8 degrees higher than room temperature, because the fermentation itself puts out some heat. Still, 74 isn't so bad. You should be ok.

I always try to stay at the bottom range of the temperature guidelines, myself. It seems to be a little easier to keep it in the desired range and prevent any heat-related off-flavors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply