New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Fermentation Stuck & Racking to Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
OrangeCatBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Stuck & Racking to Secondary

Brewed a Dry Irish Stout on 6/9 & pitched yeast (wyeast irish ale). Next day fermentation was rocketing along. By 6/12 it had slowed/stalled. Took an SG reading on 6/16 & 6/17 - 1.017. I roused the yeast on 6/17 and today the SG is 1.016 @ 66*. {I would assume that you should still add +1 to the reading since it is above 60*}

In my estimation fermentation has stalled. I feel that the next option is to rack to a secondary and hope that the yeast will lower the SG to closer to 1.011.

Here is my question. My LHBS is closed today and I do not have a secondary. I was going to use my bottling bucket as a secondary. But I dont have a lid. Can I put plastic wrap (saran wrap) over the top and use tape or tied down cords around the side of the bucket to make it a tighter seal. Is this a feasable option? Should I wait until tomorrow and but a lid or a secondary? (they open at Noon)

Any idea or suggestion is welcome and encouraged!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
xamers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCatBrewery View Post
Brewed a Dry Irish Stout on 6/9 & pitched yeast (wyeast irish ale). Next day fermentation was rocketing along. By 6/12 it had slowed/stalled. Took an SG reading on 6/16 & 6/17 - 1.017. I roused the yeast on 6/17 and today the SG is 1.016 @ 66*. {I would assume that you should still add +1 to the reading since it is above 60*}

In my estimation fermentation has stalled. I feel that the next option is to rack to a secondary and hope that the yeast will lower the SG to closer to 1.011.

Here is my question. My LHBS is closed today and I do not have a secondary. I was going to use my bottling bucket as a secondary. But I dont have a lid. Can I put plastic wrap (saran wrap) over the top and use tape or tied down cords around the side of the bucket to make it a tighter seal. Is this a feasable option? Should I wait until tomorrow and but a lid or a secondary? (they open at Noon)

Any idea or suggestion is welcome and encouraged!!!!
What's the rush?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
findthefish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You are fine so far, just leave it in primary a couple weeks.

Kevin

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you think it's stuck the LAST thing you want to do is rack it. You leave yeast behind when you rack which will make it less likely for additional fermentation to occur. If you want to rouse the yeast try giving the fermenter a gentle swirl. If that doesn't work you might consider repitching some dry yeast.

What was your OG? It's hard to tell if you have a stuck fermentation without knowing the OG. Most of my stouts finish around 1.014 so you may not be that far off (1.011 seems low to me for an extract stout). Remember that extract has a lot of unfermentable sugar in it compared to AG.

To answer your actual question about using saran wrap, I would say no, you are opening your beer up to infection. There is no reason you can't leave it in the primary an extra day, even if it's totally ready to be racked.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
OrangeCatBrewery
Recipes 

Not trying to rush....It just seems like fermentation has stopped IMHO. Usually my fermintations take 14 days, regardless of yeast type. And if this one stops fermenting I will have a 3.0% stout on my hand.

But your input is definately appreciated. I will let it sit awhile longer.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
OrangeCatBrewery
Recipes 

JadedDog........OG was 1.038 and I dont know the exact temp but it was low 80's so I estimate it at 1.041.

6/9-1.041......6/12-1.019.....6/16-1.017.....6/17-1.017.....6/18-1.016/7 (66*).

Old 06-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
OrangeCatBrewery
Recipes 

Yikes one other note. I sparged 1lb of Roasted Barley.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

+1 to what JadedDog says. Leave it be for now. Its only been in the primary for 9 days, which isn't that long. It could drop a few points still.

I typically leave my beers in the primary for 3 weeks before bottling or racking. I take a gravity reading after about 7 days and again after the 3 weeks is up. After 7 days the beer is usually close to the FG, but the SG continues to drop by 2 or 3 points between the first and second reading.

Primary/Secondary: #105 APA, #106 American Wheat

Kegged: #102 Brown, #103 Red, #104 ESB

Planned: IPA, Northern English Brown

Old 06-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
fishops
Recipes 

If you roused the yeast on 6/17 and it dropped another point already, how is it stuck? Leave it for another week at least. If you're worried about autolysis or oxidation, RDWAHAHB. You have at least another two weeks in the bucket before that starts to be a concern.

Quick Reply