Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > fermentation seems to have stopped after 2 days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
dogfishandi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default fermentation seems to have stopped after 2 days

i brewed a porter on sunday at about 4pm. i believe it began fermenting about 16 hours later, give or take an hour. the temp was about 72, there was a nice layer of foam, bubbles, and a lot of movement going on inside. the problem is, early tuesday morning, i discovered the nice foam and movement in the fermentor had pretty much ceased, as well as the bubbles. i also discovered the temp had dropped from about 72 to 65. im just now trying to bring the temp back up with a space heater. but i cannot keep it on all the time cause i work a lot, so the temp may drop a little bit. right now its about 71, but still no changes have occured. my question, if your yeast falls asleep cause the temp dropped and you warm it back up, gennerally how long should it take to get active again? also, could something else have happened here?
thanx

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've had a few beers with no activity after two days. What kind of yeast did you use?

And the important question - did you take gravity readings?

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I wouldn't raise the temp, a cooler temp in the 60 is actually preferable to prevent off flavors from stressing out the yeasts...

Even though the physical signs of fermentation appear to have ceased it more than likely didn't...The yeasts are still chewing the sugar and peeing alcohol...it's just not kicking up a lot of gunk and CO2 to trip the airlock...I have a strong belgiian doing the same thing.

Just leave it alone for a week or 10 days minimum (I leave mine for a month unless I'm dry hopping then I rack to secondary)

After 10 days take a hydro reading and another on 12 days. If it's the same you can decide to rack to secondary...or you can forget about it for a few more weeks then bottle...

But don't let your eyes deceive you...you may not detect the presence of fermentation..but the yeasties know what they're doing...

And forget raising the temperature!!! LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!

Everything's fine...

Oh read this as well. http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
dogfishandi
Recipes 

well, ashamed to say it im fermenting a little over 2 gallons in a mr. beer keg. i dont have access to a hydrometer. i used 2 cans mr beer malt extract, 1/2 cup of browm sugar, 1/2 oz. goldings pellet hops, and the mr. beer yeast. also, i just tossed the hops in with no bag, and dont plan on filtering. according to the mr beer yeast, it said proper ferm temps were between 68 to 76. why should i not try and get it a little warmer? do u have any expierience with mr beer or this problem?

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

beers in general should be fermented at cooler temperatures. For ales its usually somewhere in the 60's and for lagers its 40s. At higher temperatures you can get off flavors in your beer because of a different type of alcohol being produced at higher temp.

In general you should wait at least 3 weeks before you bottle. So try to keep it at 68 or lower unless this is some kind of Belgian recipe that needs warmer temps? I highly doubt that because I dont think Mr beer yeast is even sophisticated to replicate Belgian "taste" that a liquid yeast can. I am btw brewing next batch with a liquid Belgian (my 3rd batch with liquid). Only time can tell how much better it will be then my 2nd batch (AHS Blue Moon clone).

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfishandi View Post
well, ashamed to say it im fermenting a little over 2 gallons in a mr. beer keg. i dont have access to a hydrometer. i used 2 cans mr beer malt extract, 1/2 cup of browm sugar, 1/2 oz. goldings pellet hops, and the mr. beer yeast. also, i just tossed the hops in with no bag, and dont plan on filtering. according to the mr beer yeast, it said proper ferm temps were between 68 to 76. why should i not try and get it a little warmer? do u have any expierience with mr beer or this problem?
Don't be ashamed...you are making beer....you know about out mr beer thread don't you??? There's a lot of good tips and stuff in there...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/mr-beer-read-all-about-ask-questions-46360/

In your case without a hydrometer...just walk away from it for at least 2 straight weeks (3-4 is better)...that way you will gaurentee it will be finished...and the yyeast will cleanup after itself...

Don't worry about "signs of fermentation" on the mr beer..it's difficult to tell. I did the same thing with my first beer and mr beer brew...I saew what you saw, thought something was wrong and added more yeat...when really everything was fine...

So just relax, and do some reading for the next week or so...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
dogfishandi
Recipes 

btw, the last beer i made in my mr beer, which was my first, was the standard west coast pale ale which has nearly 1/2 the amount of fermentable sugars in it. this beer started fermenting generally around the same time as my porter, but didnt have nearly as much foam or activity. but the activity that was going on lasted about 7 days. i fermented that beer for 12 days then bottled.

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Old 01-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
btw, the last beer i made in my mr beer, which was my first, was the standard west coast pale ale which has nearly 1/2 the amount of fermentable sugars in it. this beer started fermenting generally around the same time as my porter, but didnt have nearly as much foam or activity. but the activity that was going on lasted about 7 days. i fermented that beer for 12 days then bottled.
Since you are dealing with yeasts, which are living organisms there is a huge wild card factor..meaning no two fermentations are ever the same..so comparing or trying to compare one to another is really useless...think of yeasties as wives or children and you will realize that it is pointless to pin them down...that it's best to just trust everything is all right..

It usually is...

Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #9
dogfishandi
Recipes 

thanks a lot, i tend to sweat the small stuff sometimes and you definately gave me a lot of reassurance. ill definately let you know how it turns out. have you ever brewed any big beers in a mr beer?, im wondering if it could hold the pressure. i def trust your wisdom with ur 9000+ posts. god damn!

Fermentor-Hop Juice IPA
Bottle Conditioning-
Drinking- Palace Porter
WCPA

Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
thanks a lot, i tend to sweat the small stuff sometimes and you definately gave me a lot of reassurance. ill definately let you know how it turns out. have you ever brewed any big beers in a mr beer?, im wondering if it could hold the pressure. i def trust your wisdom with ur 9000+ posts. god damn!
Yeah I've brewed some smallbatch all grain recipes in there (info in that thread)...the only problem is with no airlock setup (just the weired top) is that you could have a really active fermentation and maybe have some stuff leak through..but I haven't yet...

Just to show you...you want cool temps when you ferment...it's exothermic, so it's always going to run hotter by 5-10 degrees than ambient temp...

Quick Reply