Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > fermentation hasn't started yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm doing my first winter time ferment. I was worried that it was too cold in my cellar. When I first got it down there the other day the temp in the carboy was about 61. It took a little longer than normal to get going, but after about 16 hours I was getting a good bubble every 6 seconds. This morning the temp was only 57 when I got up but it is bubbling every 3-4 seconds.

I have seen a number of posts here where people say they brew their best beer in the winter. I hope they are right.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #12
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Well, for me it's easier to ferment at cooler temps in the winter due to the overall house temperature. Most ale yeasts are said to have their best flavors <70F which is my ambient house temp in the winter, so no extra work required.

On fermentations, I agree with the above. I always make a starter which proves my yeast is viable thereby removing that variable from the equation. Also, watching for signs of fermentation is more reliable than watching the airlock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply