*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > feedback on American amber recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
manticle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Perceived bitterness and perceived sweetness are related to each other. One way to look at it is in regard to the ratio between gravity and bitterness.

For example - a beer that sits at 50 IBU but starts high and finishes high (say 1080 - 1025)might taste much sweeter than a 1040 30 IBU that finishes at 1010. When designing a recipe it can be a good idea to look at recommended BU/GU ratio ranges (bittering units: gravity units). They are a guide only - anyone can make whatever beer they want and style guidelines can be restrictive if you place too much emphasis on them but if you recognise they are guidelines rather than rules you can use them to your advantage.

Check this link for a rundown:http://beercolor.netfirms.com/balance.html

Don't worry too much at this point about the formulae and maths - just get a basic understanding of the principle. IBU as a measurement is only useful to a point - that's why some big beers like Russian Imperial Souts and barley Wines are hopped to crazy amounts (besides possibly the preservative qualities of hops helping with ageing).

Last edited by manticle; 03-03-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
Labguy64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

That is a very interesting site. I did get into the math. i am kind of an Excel nerd. This gives me a much better guess at what I am trying to do. I am probably going to up the IBUs to about 33. I know that is still on the sweet side but still closer to "balanced".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply