Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Favorite Extract Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
BeerBrods22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am all about Northern Brewery extract kits. Most of the ones I have tried have been really good. The one flop I think was my fault. They have good stouts and porters. My favorite is the Bourban Barrel Porter...awesome. the guys I brew with have been dpoing their "hoppier" beers lately and they seem pretty good also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
jdawgh76
Recipes 

If you like hoppy beers skip all the pale ale and IPA kits and go straight to Northern Brewers 115th dream hopbursted kit. It was a favorite among my friends. All beginning IPA kits seem more like commercial pale ales and no where near as hoppy as a store bought IPA. I brewed the Brewers Best IPA and it was very lacking. Of course I didnt dry hop which would have probably made it better. The hopbursted kit will take a while to condition and benefits greatly from a yeast starter and secondary. Ive liked all the big beers from northern brewer, Hoblonmonstre tripel, and advantageous weizenbock.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:27 AM   #13
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
and just pick the ingredients out and make it without a kit...once you do that you will be on your way to want to create your own recipe
If you are willing to go out of your box, do this. Make your own kit. If there is a favorite commercial brew you want to try, I'm sure someone here can help you find it. Or pick up a copy of BYO's 250 Classic Clone Recipes. There are some great brew recipes in there. Or check out the recipe section on this site. If the one you choose is an all-grain recipe or partial mash, someone here can convert it to extract for you. Your LHBS should be able to hook you up with the freshest of ingredients for these.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #14
Righlander
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i used to make the brewer's best english pale ale kit. i made that kit once then i made the recipe a few more times because i really liked it back then. i want to make that again and see how it comes out now a days

Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #15
fasttimes
Recipes 

The very first kit I did seems to be the best so far, the Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber. It's an American Brown Ale with a very hoppy profile. There is 3 1-oz hop additions. Good stuff.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
BeerBrods22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bourbon barrel porter, northern brewer... Awesome!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #17
tomheff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
In my opinion, the Coopers and Munton's kits are sub-par. I don't think much of them at all.

If you can find Brewer's Best kits, those are definitely better. (Try to make sure you get a fresh kit, not one that's been on the shelf for a bit, as they have canned extract in them as well as DME. Older canned LME is not good and tastes "twangy").

I know you don't want to order anything online, but in my experience the best kits have come from big homebrew stores that crush the grains when you order the kit, with fresh bulk extract, and vacuum packed and frozen hops. They are 100 times better than any Cooper's or Munton's kit you'll ever find.
I'll take my Coopers English Bitter with EKG hop addition over any beer right now.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #18
seasum
Recipes 

Norther Brewer has an extract Irish Red that is their number one selling, has specialty grains, is cheap, and the recipe is actually from here. The thread on brewing it is extensive and should offer up tips if you get worried.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #19
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default bbp

i'm going to back up everybody who has said Northern Brewers Bourbon Barrel Porter. I brewed the kit for new years and it was incredible: i also added about 3/4 lb of honey to it at knockout and dry hopped in the keg. All of the kits I've gotten from Northern Brewer have been good, especially the ones with specialty grains.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Northern Brewers Cream Ale has been the favorite among my friends and family. I really enjoy it too. It seems to go VERY quickly. I also like NB Irish Stout.

Cheers

Quick Reply