Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extreme Frustration; What am I doing wrong?!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #31
Faub007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would try using a glass fermenter. I got the bandaid from my bucket. Went to glass and it never happened. Do you have any scratches on your BB that you can see? If so I'd ditch it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #32
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Ya hit all the ideas I would have put forth. I am interested in the final outcome too. One bad batch oh well. two bad and something could be amiss, three and something is definitely going wrong. If it was three different better bottles I would really lean toward infection or chloroaimines. Some folks have a very low taste threshold, so I think the control experiment and RO water is your best bet to discover the root cause of the failure. Please don't forget to keep us updated on your results. I had a dead yeast problem last week and I still have not figured out how I killed them. But my investigation leads me to believe My starter wort was too thick and it shocked them to death... Good Luck!!!

Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #33
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett
If it was three different better bottles I would really lean toward infection or chloroaimines.

Wheelchair Bob
It's in three of them

I will update for those interested, but I don't know how soon I will brew my next batch.

Thanks to everyone for all advice. It is very much appreciated.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #34
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

If it's happening in three different fermenters and appears during primary, it sure sounds like a water issue. Do the bad batches happen at certain times of the year? Are they bumping up your chlorine/chloramine levels during the warmer weather? This is common with municipal water sources. I know you're only using tap water in the StarSan and it seems like that wouldn't be enough to come through, but I suppose it's possible. It also sounds like you've tried both distilled and spring water. If it's showing up regardless of the source water, it just doesn't seem like it's related to your brewing water. The fact that it's showing up intermittently also seems like its not the brewing water, assuming you're always using the same brand of course.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #35
casesensative
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I feel your pain man. Ive brewed about 12 batches now and most every batch ive brewed has had a medicinal/astringent/household cleaner type off flavor in it and i havent been able to pinpoint where its coming from AT ALL. I clean everything obsessively, ive gone from plastic to glass. I now have a fermentation chamber for exact temp control. I've upgraded and do yeast starters to avoid underpitching. I just dont know. Ive tried store bought spring water. Pure tap water. And tap water cut with distilled water. Still get the taste. For some reason though i still have a suspicion that it is the water somehow. I just dont know...its incredibly frustrating. I havent made a good beer yet. Ugh.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #36
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
I'm thinking infection too, but that would mean I have three infected better bottles. I didn't think I was anywhere near that lazy with cleanliness/sanitation.

Should I trash the better bottles?
I use them without any problems. I prefer them to buckets or glass. I assumed you were getting these results from one BB.

How about racking canes or autosiphons? Could be a problem in your hose you use to transfer the cooled wort. Those can be tough to clean/sanitize.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #37
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy

I use them without any problems. I prefer them to buckets or glass. I assumed you were getting these results from one BB.

How about racking canes or autosiphons? Could be a problem in your hose you use to transfer the cooled wort. Those can be tough to clean/sanitize.
The problem is in three BBs and I pour straight from the brew pot, through a strainer and funnel, into the BB. Strainer and funnel get cleaned/sanitized just before use.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #38
uxo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I know you keg but do you ever bottle a few? I wonder if the bottles make a difference.

Have you made a porter before with the same of flavors?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #39
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah I bottled the first batch that had this problem. I have a porter right now with this off flavor completely dominating it. When it happens, it's completely undrinkable.

In fact, I still have the bottles in my basement (after probably 9 months). Maybe I'll try one tonight, but I'm 99% sure it won't be any better.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #40
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I went ahead and tried a sip of an 8 month old dunkelweizen and it is actually a little better, but I wouldn't want to drink more than a sip.

Quick Reply