Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extreme Brewing Brown Ale recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Extreme Brewing Brown Ale recipe

Ok, I just got into homebrewing and am on my 3rd batch. The first 2 were from extract kits and went off w/out a hitch. For xmas I got Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing book and decided to make the Beginner's Brown Ale recipe. Everything went fine during the boil. I pitched the liquid yeast (I think it was a White Labs American Ale) in a large pyrex of boiled and cooled water with a few big tablespoons of extract about 5 hours before time to add it to the cooled wort. I got zero activity, NONE. But I pitched it anyway after aerating the wort and aerated again after pitching the yeast.

24 hrs later zero activity still. Unfortunately I did forget to take the OG but ballpark for the recipe was 1070. So the following day I pitched a pack of dry yeast I had rehydrated in warm water for 1/2 hr. The wort took off w/in hrs. So I thought crisis averted. Well, the recipe calls for me to add 10 oz of maple syrup to the fermenter once the OG drops to 1040.

When I checked it a day later it was 1035 so I dissolved the maple syrup in boiled water, let it cool to 75 and stirred it in. After that fermentation completely stopped. Its been 2 days and the SG hasn't changed and haven't had any activity through the airlock. I swirled the fermenter back and forth gently w/out splashing hoping to get the yeast back into suspension but nothing changed. I also moved it from the cool closet at 65* upstairs to 72ish* w/out change. I moved it back to the closet rather than leave it too hot but now I'm wondering if I should pitch more yeast...

Thx in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Post your recipe so we can have an idea how high your OG should have been... You'd think after adding maple syrup, the SG would drop.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

On a side note, it sounds like you didn't make your starter correctly. 5-hours isn't sufficient really and you want to use a vessel with an airlock.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
On a side note, it sounds like you didn't make your starter correctly. 5-hours isn't sufficient really and you want to use a vessel with an airlock.
Even so the dry yeast picked up the next day shortly after I pitched it. I can't imagine the maple syrup raising the SG too high for the yeast...I can only think I need to pitch more. It couldn't hurt could it?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Finally some activity

After swirling the fermenter daily for the past week I finally saw some activity yesterday. Over the past week the SG has dropped from 1035-40 to 1025-30. Guess it'll take a couple weeks to get to the FG so we'll see.

Quick Reply