Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract using electrical element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
owentp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Extract using electrical element

I use a turkey fryer that has an element. Is this a problem with scorching when using liquid or dried malt extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
owentp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Should you mix it in water prior to putting it in the pot?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would power off and mix the LME or DME really really well, then mix it again, then turn the element on AFTER being sure all was disolved prior to power up. mixing seperately seems a tad cautious but would work as well.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
owentp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks I'll make sure of that. Any tips on blending LME's or DME's? I'm going back to extract from grains. I used to take a base malt & would add in wheat or other grains at 30% or more of grain bill.

Do you do the same with the extracts or just go with a single base with steeping accessory grains prior?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by owentp View Post
Thanks I'll make sure of that. Any tips on blending LME's or DME's? I'm going back to extract from grains. I used to take a base malt & would add in wheat or other grains at 30% or more of grain bill.

Do you do the same with the extracts or just go with a single base with steeping accessory grains prior?

Can't say as LME and DME come in many different types and flavors w/ or w/o specialty grains already added. Everthing from superlight, wheat blend or dark extract. Look at some typical recipes and go from there is my advice.

Quick Reply