Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > The Extract "twang" - what is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
DuPuma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The Extract "twang" - what is it?

In as best as can be described, what exactly do people mean by this? I've read a lot about people tasting a typical extract "twang" or "skunk" flavor, but I don't know if I understand what people mean.

I don't have the space/time to do AG, but i've had many AG homebrews, and have made many good extract beers. All things being equal, I think the AG beers are "cleaner", and the LME beers I've made have bit of a "syrupy/sweet" flavor. But since I've used a full-boil, late addition DME method, my extract beers have been pretty "clean".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Extract twang is hard to describe. It is only an issue with beers made with LME, and most people say that in darker, heavier beers it's not noticeable. The best way I can describe it, is that it is a flavor that is consistent in all LME beers.

I've never experienced the twang in any beer I've made with DME, but it's pretty much always been a problem for me in all of my LME beers.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This is a possible explanation I found on why. There is also a podcast link that BassBurner added to it.

I still haven't experienced it myself. But I'm moving all my reciepies to all DME.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32621

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 02-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
DuPuma
Recipes 

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Incidentally, I've had bad experiences with Munton's LME as well. I use Breiss DME almost exclusively (it's what LHBS carries) and have had very good results.

OFF TOPIC question: Does the phrase "Partial Mash" = Steeping grains in the muslin bags OR does it mean adjusting the recipe a bit to account for an actual mash of grains (in a small cooler, for instance), and making up the difference with extract? I think the phrase is often used to mean steeping grains, but I don't consider that "mashing" (although it is a close analog). When I see it, I think of a brewer mashing and sparging grains for about 1/2 the recipe, and using ME to make up the difference.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You are correct Puma, Partial mashing is not the same as steeping specialty grains. Basically, you use two pots to sort of sparge the grains in a collander after mashing at 153F or so.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Old 02-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

These days I'm soaking the steeping grains with some 2 or 6 row grain and then I'll sparge them in a funnel until I have my desired boil volume.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 02-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
APendejo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have experieced the same tangy taste in both AG and Extract ales. It may just be a character of the beer.
I think the whole thing about extract twang is an internet myth. Do a search on Snopes. Nothing there.
AP

Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by APendejo
I have experienced the same tangy taste in both AG and Extract ales. It may just be a character of the beer.
I think the whole thing about extract twang is an internet myth. Do a search on Snopes. Nothing there.
AP
I'm not so sure this one's a myth. Plenty of experienced brewers claim the same thing regarding an improvement in their beer when moving from LME to DME or AG. I only brewed one batch with LME, so I'm not much of an authority, but that batch was one of the worst I've made (kit+kilo brew).

Just because it's not on Snopes doesn't mean it's an invalid discussion...

Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Junebug

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPuma
I don't have the space/time to do AG, but i've had many AG homebrews, and have made many good extract beers. All things being equal, I think the AG beers are "cleaner", and the LME beers I've made have bit of a "syrupy/sweet" flavor. But since I've used a full-boil, late addition DME method, my extract beers have been pretty "clean".
That "syrupy" quality is the exact problem with all my previous brews. I just switched to DME yesterday, per Yooper's advice. What is the "late addition" method? I don't know much of anything about AG, but that's the direction I'm going to be headed if I can't get rid of that flavor. I have an extremely sensitive palate and that taste really bugs me.

Conditioning: Irish Cream Ale

Conditioning: Kilkenny Irish Ale

Old 02-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Every beer that I've ever tasted with a "twang" was a partial boil. I think that adding water is more of a problem than DME v. LME. Personally, I like DME much better, but I've brewed LME kits that had no twang at all.

Quick Reply