The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > "Extract Taste" What is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 01:47 AM   #11
Orpheus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I exclusively use LME and I haven't yet noticed any problems. I do notice that when my beer is green, it has a twang to it, but I consider that green beer twang. It completely disappears within a few weeks time and leaves a great tasting beer in its place.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 02:33 AM   #12
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

I'm typically a DME guy, but two of my last batches (that I'm drinking) used LME and I did NOT like the flavor. It's a caramel-like malty flavor that dominates the beer.

Yes, **I** complained about caramel flavors.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:20 AM   #13
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Since moving into a 490 sq. f. condo, I have returned to extract brewing. I find that I get much cleaner beers with DME. It is a much more stable product. I've also found more inconsistencies when purchasing bulk LME as opposed to using canned such as Coopers or M&F.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
WAGNER BREWING
Recipes 

From what I have read about the malt taste, and after talking to my LHBS, he told me to age it another week or two and it should go away for LME. Another thing, and Im not sure how this can affect it, but he said if people use a secondary for at least 2 weeks, no less, it will help.

Primary #1: I'll be Bock

Primary #2: Ash Red Lager

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Rengaw Leaf Stout

Up Next: Unsure...

Thinking About: Banana Spice(?), Scottish Ale

Old 11-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #15
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I think that there is a substantial difference between extract beers and AG beers. That being said, I like them both equally. I good extract brew is just as good as a good AG brew, but I do think there is a difference.

My favorite brewpub is a BOP (Brew On Premise) and the majority of the business there consists of people coming in to brew their own beer. Of course, everything is extract based, so all the beers on tap are extract w/specialty grains. This place makes some damn good beers, and I keep going back. However, they all have a certain extract flavor.

I used to think that this flavor came from the maillard reactions from boiling a heavily concentrated wort. I believed this primarily because once I started using DME (which comes from the manufacturer with less maillard reaction characteristics) and doing a full wort boil (also decreasing maillard reactions), I got less extract twang in my own beers.

I guess my point is this - I do think that there is a slight difference between the taste of extract beers and the taste of AG beers; however, I don't see this difference as a quality issue. Both styles can be used to make great beers!

Old 11-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
rohanski
Recipes 

I know exactly what you mean. I have made at least 20 batches using DME and was talked into using LME on a wheat beer. The sour taste never went away even after a couple of months. It was still all consumed.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #17
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using DME ever since '94 and grains with extract since '95.

Sometimes when I use grains I get a slightly sour taste. I make sure I don't squeeze the net to infuse unwanted tannins. Most of the time I attribute the flavor to the yeast.

The O'fest beer I made this year was less than thrilling throughout the year, but last night it was great. I had 3 of them and was very satisfied with the flavor and body.

I don't have any reason to go back to LME...or kits.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #18
Levers101
Recipes 

I agree with the difference between LME and DME. I've done two DME batches and three LME batches, and I figure my sanitation is good because I'm way anal retentive about getting everything sanitized that touches my wort and beer during bottling. I've had my LME beer described as "molassasey", and I tend to agree with this. The two brews that I'm currently drinking are lighter brews from LME and definately have picked up a characteristic carmelized/molasses taste from LME.

Bottled/Drinking #12: 6 Hop Variety American Pale Ale
Bottled/Drinking #13: Dry stout kit
Bottled/Drinking #14: Bavarian Wheat
Bottled/Drinking #15: Iron Red Ale

On Deck
:

Bull Sprig Brewery

Old 11-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #19
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I brewed my very forst batch a couple weeks ago with a LME (Coopers Lager kit). I let is carbonate for a week and then tried one. It had a sour taste and was kind of disappointing at first but with another week in the bottle it tastes fine. There is still a hint of sour in the beer but overall it is a very good brew. I made numerous mistakes since this was my first batch so I really expected the beer to be a nasty concoction, but tonite Im drinking my fith or tenht? one from the batch and believe it o noaght I thiiiink its gittin beter ever minteu/. WELl, I thinkl thaaatr I should lye doun for a littel and resum thiss at a noter time.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:39 AM   #20
fiddup_is_a_middup

Recipes 

I use LME all the time. Maybe I don't notice the difference because I haven't brewed an all DME Brew, but I've really enjoyed all of my brews. I might try an all DME brew to see if I can taste a difference (and hopefully an AG brew soon.) I can't say that I've detected a sourness though.

Conditioning: 1.) None 2:) None 3.) None
On Tap:: 1.) Hefeweizen 2.) ESB 3.) Oktoberfest 4.) Big Nut Brown Ale

Quick Reply