Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > "Extract Taste" What is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
Mike-H
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default "Extract Taste" What is it?

Ok, so, i've brewed 6 beers so far, but i'm only tasting the 3rd one now. The first one was crap so i'll exclude it. The other 2 seemed to have this "extract" taste (that's what I call it). The first one I "think" it went away just before I finished the keg, I had the final 2 glasses and it seemed to have dissapeared. Anyway, my 3rd beer also has this flavor. I just want to be sure i'm not imagining it. The beer is probably 5-6 weeks old and has been cold conditioning for about 1 week. I did some reading and my "guess" is its acetaldehyde. Any insight?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you using liquid malt extract?

On Basic Brewing Radio, one of the commentators said something about this. While I don't know the specific chemicals responsible, they said it had something to do with caramelization and Maillard reactions that can keep going on with LME that's not that fresh. They suggested using DME because they're much more stable.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I don't know what you are tasting. After reading your post, I had the same question as in your subject line. What is it?

I use extracts exclusively, but I also buy a case of good microbrews from time to time. There is no compelling difference between the ones I brew and the ones I buy. So either they use extracts or you are tasting something other than an extract taste.

I always suggest that people try using different water.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Some people talk about this, but I've never had an example. Even in the OSU "Off Flavor" seminar I took, it wasn't presented and we went through over 30 flavors/smells. If it is acetaldehyde, it is just a yeast byproduct that will age out. Has nothing to do with extract.

This is a good time of year to calibrate your nose, because acetaldehyde is "fresh cut pumpkin".

By the way, never toss a batch before it's 3 months old. Except when it gets stringy. Stringy will only get worse.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-30-2006, 03:29 AM   #5
Wheat King

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42

By the way, never toss a batch before it's 3 months old. Except when it gets stringy. Stringy will only get worse.
stringy? excuse my ignorance, can you elaborate>???
Conditioning:
Drinking:
Next:

Old 10-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You got me. Like Steve, sometimes I'll get some microbrewed and bring it home. The only difference I can tell is usually in clarity and that's probably because I prime and bottle whereas they using CO2, which promotes a clearer brew to begin with. This weekend I tapped my Continental Pilsner from BB kit, and it tasted and smelled like a Helles. I was quite impressed.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

My first mashed-brew is two weeks away from tasting, I'm really interested in seeing if I can detect any difference. Honestly, though, I have so few batches under my belt where there are LOTS of changing variables, being able to pick out "extract twang" from the impact of a different hop type or a flaw in my temperature control or anything else would seem to be virtually impossible right now.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Wheat king - Ropey beer -"the most unpleasant infection which can be encountered in beer."
http://byo.com/mrwizard/759.html

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 10-30-2006 at 01:58 PM.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I know what you mean. I brewed my Irish red back in August. I'm finishing off the last of the bottles lately, and I'm definitely not as happy with it as I've been with others. Granted, it was my first batch that I did on my own, but still, I think it has to do with high fermentation and aging temps (summer sucks) and the fact that 100% of the fermentables were amber LME. I've definitely gotten away from using alot of LME, as I think that this is the culprit. It's like a weird sweet/sour taste, not pleasant at all.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did 2 extract with grain batches a while back and notced that those seemed to be the 2 where I noticed the extract twang the most. The common feature was Amber LME...who konws? I think the biggest key to doing great extract beers is using DME or making sure you get fresh LME

Quick Reply