Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > extract recipes with grains?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
jourelemode
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default extract recipes with grains?

im new to brewing and i've only been been using kits with malt extracts...i've been looking at other people recipes cause I wanna try new things and I see some recipes that use malt extracts, then I see they have several pounds of some grains also like caramunich, chocolate, special b, aromatic and biscuit...do they just steep these grains in the nylon bag??? sorry for the dumb question...cause I thought extract was nothing but extract stuff like powders and liquids

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Yes they are steeped.

This should help you understand it better. How to Brew; Section 2 - Brewing Your First Extract and Specialty Grain Beer

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

there is extract brewing and there is all grain brewing. And then there are a couple of things in between.

Extract with specialty grains is probably what you are seeing in these recipes. The fermentables almost all come from extract liquid or powder, but then some fresh grainy tastes, color, and flavor is added with the use of some specialy grains that do not need to have starch conversion done on them. Those kinds of grains can just be steeped in hot water (155*F or so) for a while before you bring it to a boil and add the extract. Crystal malts, roasted malts, and quite a few other grains exist that fit this "can just be steeped" catagory.

The other in-between method is partial mashing. Some of the fermentables come from extract and the remainder come from a mini-mash of 2-row and other grains.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
bertmurphy
Recipes 

There are partial mash recipes and recipes with steeping grains. With a partial mash you do a small mash to get half your wort, then use extract for the other half. Basically you bring a few gallons of water to 170F, mix in the grain, let it rest for an hour, and strain out the wort. This wort will account for part of your boil, then you make the rest of the wort with the extract. Similar to partial mash is steeping specialty grains. To do this, you take about 8-16 ounces of specialty grains (grains that do not require mashing, like crystal, chocolate, cara-pils) and steep them for a half hour, then add your extract and more water to get your boil volume.

I'd start with steeping specialty grains first, as it is a great way to improve body and flavor of extract beers. Then, to be honest, once you've got the equipment and a few solid brews under your belt I'd go all-grain and skip partial mashing. It's really not as difficult as it sounds. Watch some youtube videos and see how other people do it. I didn't understand what the texts were talking about until I actually saw other people doing it.

Last edited by bertmurphy; 10-20-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: elaboration

Old 10-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
jourelemode
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

thanks a lot guys, thats a lot of helpful info!

Quick Reply