New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract Overattenuation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
phillipsrx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract Overattenuation

Tried to search this topic with no luck. I have brewed several extract recipes lately that keep coming out about 7-9 points below my calculated FG. I have been hitting the OG spot on. The latest was a blue moon summer honey wheat clone with OG 1.061 & FG 1.017 but it came out at 1.010 (calc ABV 5.73 but actual 6.8%). This was using S-05 yeast at 68 degrees the entire time. Am I being too efficient when steeping my grains? I wouldn't think the steeping grains would change the gravity that much. I steeped at 155 for 30 min. Do I need to change my temp for steeping? Also, it seems I may have read about wild yeast leading to overattenuation.

Here's the recipe:

3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light
3 lb Liquid Malt Extract - Wheat
1.5 lb Honey
7.5 lb Total

Steeping Grains
1 lb American - White Wheat (had to use torrified)
1 lb American - Pale 2-Row
0.5 lb Flaked Oats
0.5 lb Canadian - Honey Malt

Thanks for the input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
inflictor-of-grimness
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

With that much honey you're guaranteed a low finishing gravity. 1.017 seems too high for a beer with a pound and a half of honey.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
phillipsrx
Recipes 

I've been using Brewer's Friend for my calculations. I have seen a lot of people mention Beer Smith. Should I upgrade to Beer Smith or is there a better route?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3874 Times on 2829 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsrx View Post
I've been using Brewer's Friend for my calculations. I have seen a lot of people mention Beer Smith. Should I upgrade to Beer Smith or is there a better route?
No, I've never found a decent software/calculator to come up with a good FG. It really depends on the ingredients, yeast strain, etc, so you sort of have to figure that one out by yourself. 1.017 is ridiculously high for such a beer, and you'll learn that once you've been brewing for a while.

Quick Reply