Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract over fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
evanthes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract over fermentation?

Hey all. I brewed a Sam Adams summer seasonal clone last night and work up to find the too of my primary covered in my beer! The yeast seems to be having a lot f fun in there and the beer is coming up through the airlock. I took it off to clean it. And beer is coming up steadily. I wanted to see what you guys think could have caused this and what I could do the rescue my beloved brew!
Thanks!
Evan

image-570813950.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

It's fine- it happens all the time. You may want a "blow off tube" to avoid the lid blowing off of the fermenter and painting your ceiling brown.

The only danger at all (beside beer explosion) is that it is super active because it's too warm. I'd make sure the beer is under 70 degrees, even lower if possible (not the room temperature- the beer temperature!) because a warm fermentation can cause some off-flavors. And the warmer it gets, the more active the yeast gets, and so the warmer it gets since fermentation itself produces heat.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the wort was not cooled to 65 degrees before the yeast was added and the yeast took off in such a warm temperature. Since the yeast are more active at warm temperatures, it would get warmer and warmer inside the fermenter.

I'd double check the temperature and put it someplace cooler, as well as fashion a blow-off tube.

A blow-off tube is a piece of sanitized tubing stuffed in a hole on the top of the fermenter with the other end in a pitcher of water. It works like a great big airlock, to allow the c02 to escape.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
evanthes
Recipes 

Thanks for your insight! Moved to the basement and got the blow off tube going!
Thanks a lot! Was worried the brew was lost.
Evan

image-3682610983.jpg  

Quick Reply