Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract Late Brewing

View Poll Results: How do you do your Late extract addition?
I don't, I just add all the extract at the beginning of the boil. 46 26.44%
I start with little extract then add the rest for the last 15 min of the boil 108 62.07%
I start with little extract then add the rest at flameout and let it sit 20 min before cooling 20 11.49%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
goplayoutside
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Extract Late Brewing

Hi everyone. So I am an extract brewer balking at the current high hop prices and was thinking of going to an extract late brewing method as described here. Looks like there are other benifits, too! So for those of you with experience using the method, here are my two questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience doing this and can anyone give more specifics on the process? Such as how to decide how much extract to add at the beginning of the boil and how much at the end?

2) How will this affect my Hop utilization in terms of the amount of hops I use? From what I've seen in these forums people are just saying use about 20% less, which may work some but this number must be dependent on how big your boil is (mine is small due to my s*%tty electric stove) and how much extract you add at the beginning of the boil (I would like to add as little as possible, due to the aforementioned small boil). Basically I am anxious to be able to use some of my old recipes with this method and be confident that I am not going to miss my bittering.

I can't wait to graduate so I have the space, time, and budget for an AG setup.

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes good health" -Thomas Jefferson
PRIMARY: NONE / SECONDARY: NONE / CONDITIONING: NONE / ON TAP: ANGLO-AMERICAN WHEAT PALE ALE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I pretty much always do a late addition, mainly to lighten the color. For example, in a recipe that uses 6 lbs. of DME, I'll add 1 lb. at the beginning of the boil, then the remaining 5 lbs. in the last 5-10 minutes. If you use DME you don't have to remove your pot from the the heat, whereas LME sinks right to the bottom so you do have to remove from heat until it's dissolved to avoid scorching. Either way you need to stir like crazy to dissolve the extract asap and keep an eye on it to avoid boil over.

As far as hop utilization is concerned, I'm not really sure how it's affected by a late addition. I've heard some say it is improved and I've heard others say the opposite. All I know is that you really need some extract in the boil for proper utilization.

The bottom line: If your trying to make an amber ale and you don't want it to look like a porter, a late addition is the only way to go.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been doing late additions before I knew it was a "method".

Check Papazian's TCJOHB Hop Utilization Chart. It recommends 1 oz of hops in 1 gal of water with 1 lb of DME equals 1.040 (BYO says DME is 1.045).

I boil 1.5 gals when using DME only. The extra water is for evaporation.

When I use steeping grains I'll steep in 1 gal and sparge with 1 gal. I'll also up the grain/DME equivilant to 2 lbs.

I boil for 45 mins and remove the pot from the heat then add the remaining DME to steep for 15 mins to pasteurize.

I top off with PUR filtered tap water that's been in the freezer for 4-5 hours.

The temp is usually in the low 60s for 1 gal and about 68-72 for 2 gal boils.

Here's a pic of all DME LA brewing...

p1080796-00.jpg  

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 08-25-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
goplayoutside
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, thanks for the help guys. You have done a good job of answering my first question. I am still looking for some answers to question number two... anybody out there?

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes good health" -Thomas Jefferson
PRIMARY: NONE / SECONDARY: NONE / CONDITIONING: NONE / ON TAP: ANGLO-AMERICAN WHEAT PALE ALE

Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Boiling the hops with less extract (i.e. a lower gravity boil) will increase utilization. How much depends on how much of the extract you save for the end. I haven't found a quick and easy way to do it, but you can use hops utilization charts/calculators to adjust the amount of hops to keep your IBU the same.

So, if your recipe calls for all the extract in a 2 gallon boil, you'd look up the utilization for those parameters (gravity, boil size, boil time, hop amounts). Then, you'd figure your new boil gravity with only part of the extract (say 2 lbs in a 2 gallon boil). Using that gravity, boil size, boil time, and previously calculated utilization, you should be able to figure out the correct amount of hops. Unless somebody knows of one, I'm planning on writing a calculator app that makes this into more of a one step process or maybe suggest it as a feature in BeerSmith, but it's really not too difficult given a utilization calculator (or even just a chart).

One potential pitfall: if you add the remainder of your extract with 15 minutes left in the boil, the hop utilization will be lower for that time. It would make calculations a little easier to add the late extract at the end of the boil.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've since gone AG...but I tried a few late extract additions....It seems that these brews are all extremely bitter....as I did not adjust hop additions.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Beersmith will tell you what the difference in hops utilization will be if you do a late addition of some portion of extract.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I've since gone AG...but I tried a few late extract additions....It seems that these brews are all extremely bitter....as I did not adjust hop additions.
BK: As you already know, I do 1.5-2 gal boils, but rarely do I ever use more than 3AAs for bittering HWs and 4AAs for normal batches...ending with 6 lbs of DME. I'm obvisouly not a hop head.

To increase my bitterness on Lawnmower type light ales I just decrease my overall DME to 4.5 lbs.

Right now I have a light one going where I used 3 different hops and added some at the end for a 5 min steep. I'll keep you informed on that one.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
Beersmith will tell you what the difference in hops utilization will be if you do a late addition of some portion of extract.
Can you explain how? I was messing with this last night and couldn't figure out how to do this. Is there a special tool/function or should it just happen once you check "Late extract addition" (I think that's what it says) in the ingredient properties?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Add your extract as two separate portions, double-click on one, and click the "Late extract for [x] minutes", and fill in the minutes.

It will automatically update your IBUs.

You kind of have to play around with the amount of early and late extract, and the minutes setting, to see what it does to the IBUs.

Quick Reply