Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract kits in a can?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
dandog2500
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Extract kits in a can?

Hello, just a couple questions. What are some brands of those extract kits that come in a can? They are usually around $20. I'm thinking they are a lesser quality beer than a partial mash kit or something similar. What is everyone's opinion on these kits? They are pretty inexpensive and it seems like they are made a lot faster.

Side note : why do some people hate brewers best kits?

Thanks!

"You know...you're going to want to keep the cat away from the fermenter..." - My LHBS' obvious advice

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Look up Coopers and Muntons pre-hopped kits. Are they lesser quality. Brewing beer is mostly dependent upon the skill and knowledge of the brewer.
Why do people hate Brewers Best. Everyone has there own personal opinions either based on fact or fallacy.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
TripleHopped
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I remember listening to a podcast with Jamil Zainasheff when he was talking about mixing up one of those kits cold, fermenting it and then serving it to his friends. None of them said it was of any less quality than his other beers. They couldn't believe it was a liquid hopped extract kit that was mixed up cold.

I think his point was that with making sure everything was clean. Using a good yeast with a proper pitching rate and the ability to maintain appropriate fermentation temperatures. These pre-hopped liquid extract beer kits will make a decent product.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cool...-build-135048/

People Like This 
Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
dandog2500
Recipes 

Awesome, I will get one of these and try it out. That way I can make a small stock pile on a budget, and not feel bad about drinking all my brew in one weekend with friends.

Any suggestions on what would be a good yeast/pitching procedure for these kits?

Edit:
I just found this blurb under one of the IPA's

"This kit requires an extra 2 pounds of fermentable sugar to reach its optimal flavor and alcohol content. Because our beer kit add pack is a blend of dry malt extract, corn sugar and maltodextrin, it will provide the best results, much better than granulated table sugar. Add the complete canned kit upgrade and receive our beer kit add pack, priming sugar, and detailed instructions."

"You know...you're going to want to keep the cat away from the fermenter..." - My LHBS' obvious advice

Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 55 Posts

Of the pre-hopped beer kits I've only ever used Cooper's. I was pretty much always satasfied with the results. I did however let the beer ferment longer (at a lower temperature) and bottle condition longer than the instructions suggested. I also always replaced some of the suggested dextrose with DME.

Really the only reason I moved to mini-mash and then all grain was because reading homebrewtalk got me interested in the process. Brewing has become more of a hobby than just a means to produce decent beer on the cheap.

If I ever lose interest in brewing (unlikely) I will probably just revert to banging out the Cooper's kits again (takes less than hour including sanitizing and clean up). The beer is at least as good as most of the stuff I can buy locally and I can make it for nearly a quarter the cost.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
TripleHopped

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Here is a link to the podcast of the one I was talking about.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/698

Brew Strong: Brewing Kit Beer. It is the 11-29-10 podcast.

Jamil talks about using DME for the extra sugars and he used yeast from a starter of a previous brew.

If these kits come with a yeast package discard it and pick up a liquid or dry yeast that is appropriate for the style of beer you are brewing.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cool...-build-135048/

dandog2500 Likes This 
Old 12-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
dandog2500
Recipes 

ok I'll check out that podcast. Right now I have been hooked on the Joe Rogan Experience, I cant get enough of it.

so for these kits, the extra 2 lbs of fermentable sugar would be 2 lbs of DME?

Old 12-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandog2500 View Post
ok I'll check out that podcast. Right now I have been hooked on the Joe Rogan Experience, I cant get enough of it.

so for these kits, the extra 2 lbs of fermentable sugar would be 2 lbs of DME?
Thats what i would do. Regular sugar would dry it out to much. There is nothing wrong with the can kits if you doctor them up a bit. For some people thats all they can get a hold of.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

When I was brewing AE with Cooper's cans,I added a 3lb bag on Muntons plain light DME & a couple onces of flavor hops. NB & Midwest sell the Cooper's ale yeast in 15g packets that are fresher than the little 7g packets in the false lid of the cans. But rehydrated US-05 gives a cleaner tasting beer.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:45 AM   #10
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Some great tips people mentioned before me. I personally like Coopers the best out of the canned kits. I use the 7g coopers yeast in the lid but as some people said it wont hurt to pick up a fresh pack of you choose. I tend to brew the kits to 20L (not the 23L it says on the kit) also I tend to add 50% malt extract and 50% dextrose (or liquid glucose) as additive. I have reviewed them pretty much all on youtube - one of my faves is the cooper Mexican Cerveza -- here is a link if you wanna check it out. Cheers.

Quick Reply