Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract brewing recipe - can this be right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #21
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ElyIrishBrew - if you can't find a 3lb bag of DME, but can find a 3.3 can of LME you can use that instead they are close in total sugar points. A typical extract beer will have about 6lb of DME or 6.6 lb of LME or similar. Specific recipies might call for more or less, but usually about 6lb is a good rule of thumb as a basis - at least until you start looking at other recipies. Your first beer concentrate on good sanitation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #22
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
If you're going to get a whole 'nuther kit when you go, you might as well try to get one that has hops as a separate addition (not already included in the extract) and steeping grains. Neither adds any significant complication to the process other than that you have to watch the clock and temperature a bit more, and will get you better beer at the end. My first brew was a kit with steeping grains and timed hop additions, and I was certainly not overwhelmed, even though I applied a (not recommended) "brew first, ask questions later" approach. Beer still turned out fine, and I had better questions to ask afterwards since I'd already fumbled through it once.
I may indeed do that. It's a direction I intend to move in anyway as I get more experienced and want to customize recipes. Figured I'd keep it as simple as possible for the first couple of batches, but using a full brewing kit is pretty simple stuff as long as a few things are closely controlled. This trip I'll buy the malt extract if they have it, and will only buy another recipe kit if they don't have the ME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
ElyIrishBrew - if you can't find a 3lb bag of DME, but can find a 3.3 can of LME you can use that instead they are close in total sugar points. A typical extract beer will have about 6lb of DME or 6.6 lb of LME or similar. Specific recipies might call for more or less, but usually about 6lb is a good rule of thumb as a basis - at least until you start looking at other recipies. Your first beer concentrate on good sanitation.
Thanks, I'll remember that!

Nother question. What kind of ballpark alcohol content will I be looking at if I use DMR or LME to bolster the export pilsner recipe I mentioned in the original post? How would that compare with adding straight sugar?

Old 10-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #23
ElyIrishBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Picked up two 3-lb bags of DME. Both are Muntons Spraymalt Extract. One is plain light, with a 10 EBC (this will go in the nut brown). The other is plain extra light, with 7 EBC, for the pilsner. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Gott check my schedule for the next several days, but I'm getting kinda excited and think I'll be brewing this weekend.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 AM   #24
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ely - off hand with 3lb of DME and 3.3 of LME you should end up with an OG about 1.045 and and FG about 1.011 (these are rough numbers, I might be off by a point or 2 on either) Anyhow, with that you should have a ABV about 4.2% (maybe upper 3.9 to 4.5 as a range)

Quick Reply