*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract brewing - chill haze and dos and don'ts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
PJ912
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I tend to put the bottles in the fridge the night before, so will try and fit some in for some fridge lagering.

With a cold break, why not dump everything in the fermenter and drop a big lump of ice in? Or a bag of commercial ice cubes? I've heard people are worried about germs but its only ice from tapwater and I fill up with tapwater anyways?

If I want be anal I could even use boiled tapwater to make the ice and rinse off the outside with boiling water but don't see the point. Is this a "don't"?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you're doing partial boils then using ice for some of your top-up water is certainly an option. Of course boiling it would be the safest way to go.

Chill haze simply takes longer than overnight to fall out. Your best option on that case would probably be Clarity Ferm, as it claims to eliminate the proteins that cause chill haze in the first place.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 AM   #13
PJ912
Recipes 

Tanks all. Trying gelatine for the first time in 20 years, a few days before bottling. Got a partial cold break with this brew.
Next brew will try 0.5kg malt in the (partial) boil and add the test at flame out. Then add a big chunk of ice or two, maybe leave some trub behind.
Unfortunately the results are months away....

Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ912 View Post
I tend to put the bottles in the fridge the night before, so will try and fit some in for some fridge lagering.

With a cold break, why not dump everything in the fermenter and drop a big lump of ice in? Or a bag of commercial ice cubes? I've heard people are worried about germs but its only ice from tapwater and I fill up with tapwater anyways?

If I want be anal I could even use boiled tapwater to make the ice and rinse off the outside with boiling water but don't see the point. Is this a "don't"?
I put ice in my PV and pour the hot wort over it. I cool the wort in about
2 minutes so it is the fastest cold break you can get. I personally believe thie whole BS about wort chillers is just that BS. I would like to have nickle for everyime I have heard some one say they would never use ice cause your wort will get infected yet they use the SAME water as make up water.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I don't use a wort chiller. I use an ice bath and get 5 gallons down to 60F or lower in 20 minutes - that's about the same time most people with wort chillers say it takes. It takes a lot of ice and it's a lot of work - I agitate (spin/counterspin) the kettle constantly, but I get a good result. I get a strong cold break and (I believe) a reduced chill haze time. Eventually I will get an immersion chiller and I'll probably think it's the most bestest thing ever, but for now what I'm doing works.

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Try ice in the fermenter and see how it works

Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #17
PJ912
Recipes 

Ok. Tried gelatine in the fermenter a few days out from bottling my last brew after only getting a weak cold break. didn't really do anything.

Today I did the usual 10L boil and bought a 5kg bag of ice. Cold break and pitching temp of 25deg C in 3 minutes!

10L boil flame out at 50 mins. 10 mins resting then I put all if the boil in the fermenter, left behind some hops though.

Added extra fermentables then added 5kg commercial ice. Went cloudy with lots of floaties, some being hops, stirred and 15 mins later its looking pretty clear, with only small particles still suspended.

$4 worth of ice saves time and water and looking weird while nursing my wort trying to get its temperature down! ;-)

Still a month before I can confirm chill haze success....

Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

You can have crystal clear wort, and crystal clear fermented beer going into your bottles, and you'll still have chill haze! Gelatin will not pull it out. A fast cold break seems to reduce the time it takes to drop out in the fridge, but we're talking about a week instead of two to three weeks. (I say seems to because I haven't done a side-by-side test. My reported results are anecdotal)

In this thread about Clarity Ferm a user reports excellent results. I'm not shilling for it, it's just that you have a very specific problem and it seems like Clarity Ferm might be your best bet. It's still a pretty new product so there isn't a whole lot of user reports on it. Most of the other threads focus it's gluten reducing effect. Sooner or later I will try it myself and report.

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
PJ912
Recipes 

I've just been able to try my previous brew (Nelson Sauvign APA) which had a weak cold break and where I used gelatine. It's not crystal clear but that's not a problem, it is certainly better and acceptable to me, plus it tastes great!

My Amber IPA was crystal clear in the fermenter before the yeast started working. There was a thick layer of proteins at the bottom of the fermenter. I say this because it looks different to the usual yeast sediment at the end of fermentation. Have to assume that this will drop back out after the yeast (1056) have had their fun.

Will report back. Cheers.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #20
PJ912
Recipes 

So, amber IPA turned out more like an APA. Certainly not clear but still good enough. Beginning to think my previous issues were a slight infection or too much drub and grains passed over from the boil.

Quick Reply