The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract Book?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
TacoBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Extract Book?

Given the preponderance of brewing books, I'm surprised that there is no book specifically about brewing with extract. Something that describes the history and growth of extract brewing and addresses specific concerns of extract brewers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Brewing Classic Styles was written as an extract book. The author, JZ, converted his recipes to extract for the book. He has the all-grain equivalent as a footnote on all recipes. It may not go into the history of extract as thoroughly as you've described, but the bulk of the book is about extract brewing. I highly recommend grabbing a copy if you don't already have it.

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze
plainbrad Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
tooldudetool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts

+1 on Brewing Classic Styles. I've only brewed a handful of recipes out of the book, but just studying the ingredients and profiles of each of the 80 styles has taught me a lot about what defines each style of beer, and what it takes to brew it.

Quick Reply