New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract batch with small pot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
kontrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Extract batch with small pot

I'd like to make a 6 gal (23L) extract batch. I have a 4.75 gal (18L) pot so I need to make a partial boil and add water to the fermenter at the end.

My question is, does the water of volume used for the partial boil important? I use beersmith to plan my recipes and I'm trying to setup my equipment profile. I should make a 4 GAL partial boil, and add the missing water at the end. But the missing water is it 2 GAL (since I made a 4 GAL partial boil) or is it (6 GAL - (4 GAL - water lost during boil))? I guess if I do the later It change the result a lot (I guess you can calculate that in beersmith). What's the prefered method?

Also is there a minimum water volume to be used in partial boil? I mean could it be possible that my water level is not enough so my extract/grains/hops doesn't dissolve completly in water or that something will be "missing"?

Hope my questions are clear enough

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was wondering if my setup (see pic below) makes any sense. Any though?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

You want to use as much water in the boil as is possible. One of the things I suggest is using 1 pound of extract per gallon of liquid in the boil at the beginning, and adding the bulk of the extract at flame out. That helps let you boil more liquid (extract takes up a lot of space in the pot!), keeps the extract from getting maillard reactions and darkening, and having less of a cooked extract taste, as well as improves the color of the finished beer.

You should boil off far more than .29 gallons an hour, though! I'd expect to boil off 1 gallon per hour, if you have a nice rolling boil.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You want to use as much water in the boil as is possible. One of the things I suggest is using 1 pound of extract per gallon of liquid in the boil at the beginning, and adding the bulk of the extract at flame out. That helps let you boil more liquid (extract takes up a lot of space in the pot!), keeps the extract from getting maillard reactions and darkening, and having less of a cooked extract taste, as well as improves the color of the finished beer.

You should boil off far more than .29 gallons an hour, though! I'd expect to boil off 1 gallon per hour, if you have a nice rolling boil.
In my case is 4 gal good for the boil?

In my recipe I have 6lb 9.8oz of Extract. And when you say flame out, you mean after it has boiled for 1 hour and I close the heat and close to cool it?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
In my case is 4 gal good for the boil?

In my recipe I have 6lb 9.8oz of Extract. And when you say flame out, you mean after it has boiled for 1 hour and I close the heat and close to cool it?
Yes, 4 gallons if good if it fits and it doesn't boil over!

I'd probably use 2 pounds of extract in the beginning, and then add the rest at flame out, just when you kill the heat.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yes, 4 gallons if good if it fits and it doesn't boil over!

I'd probably use 2 pounds of extract in the beginning, and then add the rest at flame out, just when you kill the heat.
2 pound? Didn't you said 1 pound per galon in the boil? (Just making sure it's not an error )

Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
2 pound? Didn't you said 1 pound per galon in the boil? (Just making sure it's not an error )
Yeah, I did! But I would still go with two pounds, as extract is heavy and takes up alot of room. Adding two pounds to, say, three gallons, might overflow your pot!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 AM   #8
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I did! But I would still go with two pounds, as extract is heavy and takes up alot of room. Adding two pounds to, say, three gallons, might overflow your pot!
Oh thank. Also when we say a 4 gal partial boil, it's 4 gal water AND extract right? So in this case it would be for my 4.75 pot (18L) a partial boil of 4 gal (15L) made of 2L of extact and 13L of water, which make up 15L. Then I add my 4L and 9.8oz remaining at the end of the 60 minute boil time.

Also doesn't extract need to boil at least for 15 minute? to reach the hot break?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

No,extract has already been through hot break,etc. One time I added a pound of wheat DME & got a large hot break though. Even for partial mash,I boil a total of 3 gallons. With extract brews,I add 1.5lbs of plain DME for hop additions. DME isn't effected as much by mailard reactions ime.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And LME doesn't need to be boiled to prevent any bacteria?

Quick Reply