Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract Barley wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
logan3825
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I made an extract barleywine that started at 1.100and got down to 1.015.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan3825 View Post
I made an extract barleywine that started at 1.100and got down to 1.015.
What yeast did you use? Was it one strain, or did you use the ale yeast/super-high-gravity combo?

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
logan3825
Recipes 

2 packets of US-05. I did use corn sugar though. I doubt it gets that low without the sugar.

12lb Maris Otter LME
1 1/2lb corn sugar

Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Okay, that makes sense. The corn sugar probably helped dry it out quite a bit.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
logan3825
Recipes 

When you don't control your own mash you gotta make adjustments. I think next time I will cut back to 1lb. Maybe. I have to wait a couple months before I know if I like how it turned out.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I have an extract barley wine on here called big buzz barleywine you can read what people have said and try it or tweak it and do your own. Mine will be ready in about a month at its earliest stage and I will re post. Check it out

Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #17
FatsSchindee
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just brewed Austin homebrew supply's American Barleywine from extract, only nine days ago. It had great reviews, and I live in Austin so was easy to get, and a pretty simple recipe for a beginner like me. OG was 1.084 (instructions said 1.087) from 10 lbs LME and 1 lb DME, pitched 2 vials of WLP001 (no starter, but aerated the crap out of it first), started airlock activity going strong between 12-18 hrs, weakened after 4-5 days, and just got a SG of 1.022 today (instructions said 1.025 - so at least I was off by the same amount on each end). I used a swamp cooler, keeping water temps between 62-67 (would've liked better control, but that was all I had time for). I also did the late malt additions, knowing that the extract would be sweet already - 4 lbs at the beginning of the 4 gal boil, other 7 lbs at end of boil (wondering if that made the SGs slightly lower than recipe called for? I did top up to 5 gal before pitching, of course).

I tasted it today from my sample for the hydrometer, but unfortunately I just had sinus surgery last week, and can't smell (and therefore taste) worth a damn with my nose plugged up right now. What I did get out of it was: sweetness/maltiness up front, boozy/hot alcohols in the middle, and a bitter-ish finish/aftertaste. Had a thick, not-quite-(but almost)-syrupy mouthfeel. Copper-amber color. Again, my sense of taste is jacked up right now, but it didn't taste good to me at this time. I know it'll improve with age, so am thinking leaving it in primary (6.5 gal bucket) for 3-4 wks total, then secondary (5 gal bb carboy) for 2-4 months more to bulk age, then bottle (with more yeast, I've heard is a good suggestion) for as long as I can hold out (at least 6 months, hopefully longer) before trying one... This one definitely needs to mellow!

Sound like a decent plan? Other suggestions/advice? Thx...

And to the OP - sorry about the slight hijack, but AHS American Barleywine is an easy extract recipe, in answer to your question. Haven't actually tasted a finished one, yet, but it does have positive reviews...

Cheers!

"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
- Homer Simpson

Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #18
deanpearson62
Recipes 

That's way cool!
Barley wine new and barley wine aged is two different animals.
I'm sure when its a year + old it will be amazing.

Keep on brewing!!!

Dean.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #19
FatsSchindee
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks, Dean. Just reread your first post, and realized you were looking for something much stronger! I was just thinking extract was your main concern, until I reread. Mine is just like your first one - on the weaker end of barleywines at 8.1%. In researching barleywines online, I did see many recipes for some strong ones out there (though, as I'm sure you've noticed, many are for AG)... Good luck finding one, and please share it when you do!

Cheers

"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
- Homer Simpson

Quick Reply