Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract addition in last 15min of boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
Chris_K
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuurang
The guys on basicbrewing podcast suggest adding LME in the last 15 min of boil to keep darkening of wort to a minimum. I guess one just boils water and hops for what ever called for time period and then add your LME and DME at the last 15mins of boil to sanitize.

ok, that just seems loopy. Does anybody do this? Any thoughts?
You should have some of your DME or LME in the boil the whole time to get proper hop utilization. So if you're brewing something light, don't put all of it in, but to extract bitterness effectively takes some extract.

or so I've heard.
Primary #1-Oatmeal Stout
Primary #2- Empty
Secondary #1- Empty
Kegged- Cream Ale
Someday/ Maybe/ Getting There- 'California Common', Impromptu IPA, Imperial Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have used 1 lb as well as 1/2 lb in the 45 min boil. Remove from heat. Add in 1 lb of DME at a time and dissolve. Once dissolved add another lb and repeat. Once all the DME is added let sit for 15 mins.

As an alternate you can boil for 1/2 hour, but you have to double up on your bittering hops.

Then continue your normal process of pouring into primary/cooling, whichever technique you use.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
Atticmonkey
Recipes 

So is the extract late method used purely for color issues or is there any flavor advantages involved? Also like one member stated, ive also heard that you should add some of your extract at the start of your boil for proper hop bitterness. Any comments on if that is needed?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

The color is one issue, probably the main one. But your hops utilization is higher with a lower gravity wort- so you have to take that into consideration when making a favorite. I did that on my Dead Guy clone- one the "regular" way, one with the DME added with 15 minutes left in the boil The late extract addition seemed twice as bitter to me, but mellowed with a bit of aging and become my husband's favorite beer.

I don't know if you "should" add some extract at the beginning, but I did. I think about 1/2, if I remember correctly.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #15
desiderata

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Yes, the 60 min boil is for the extraction of the bittering hops alpha acids.

I've done lots of experimenting with my boils. I still boil 60 min, but I've also boiled 30 mins and doubled up on the hops which adds up to the same bittering percentage. It also reduces my time (30 mins) and use of gas (for 30 mins). Since I buy bulk DME and hops adding an extra oz of hops is cheaper than wasting a half hour.
Wow, I'm gonna have to try this out! I'm sure it's not the first time you (or anyone) has mentioned this, but it's the first time I've seen it. Just goes to show you learn something new every day! Thanks for the tip, Bill!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticmonkey
So is the extract late method used purely for color issues or is there any flavor advantages involved? Also like one member stated, ive also heard that you should add some of your extract at the start of your boil for proper hop bitterness. Any comments on if that is needed?
Right. See above...I only add 1/2 to 1 lb of Extra Light DME in the boil and the rest at flameout and let that pasteurize for 15 mins. All LME and DME has already been cooked up once. Why cook it again?

You're welcome Pat. How are things at Stewart? Not deploying this year are you? How's the wife and baby?

Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #17
GoBrewers
Recipes 

This thread has convinced me to try a DME-only batch this weekend, adding the majority late in the boil. Is there a standard mass conversion going from LME to DME? I assume that the LME is diluted with water to some extent.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #18
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

1 lb of grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME...all the same.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #19
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did it on my hefeweizen. Tasted it after 1 week of bottling, still a little green but coming along nicely. Color is light.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:28 AM   #20
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good stuff people. Thanks!

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Quick Reply