Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract addition in last 15min of boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 10:55 PM   #131
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
OK. Now we are cooking with gas! I'm going to do a 3.5 gallon boil for this:

6 lbs. gold light malt extract
3.3 lbs. amber light malt extract
0.5 lb. crystal malt, 50° Lovibond
0.5 lb. toasted malt, 25° Lovibond
2 oz. Cascade hops (7% alpha acid), for 60 min.
1 oz. Willamette hops (4.8% alpha acid), for 5 min.
1 oz. East Kent Goldings hops (5.5% alpha acid), for 5 min.
Wyeast 1098 (British ale)

Judging by the 1lb *ME to 1gal rule of thumb and the 2lb steeping grains = 1.2 DME rule of thumb discussed here, I was thinking of adding 2.9 lbs of ME post steeping of 1lb of grains (3.5 - .60), adding 2 oz Cascade, boil 50 minutes, add remaining hops, boil 10, remove from heat and add remaining *ME till disolved and cool.

I don't want to waste the hops as I did on my first brew (not added at the right time and added all the extract up front) but is this overkill in the other direction? I just absolutely love hops and just want to brew what I love.
Step by step...sounds good.

I got an email you were trying to PM me...I need to delete some PMs first...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #132
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Step by step...sounds good.

I got an email you were trying to PM me...I need to delete some PMs first...
LOL...yeah didn't want to clog up this thread any more but it looks I managed to none the less

Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 PM   #133
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmia
haha, no, I appreciate your insight, and taking time to help a newbie get everything figured out (hmm, I should probably spend more time brewing and less time reading, though)
No, actually, reading is probably the most important part...you should understand the "what to do" as well as "why you do it". More importantly, "what happens" "when" you fail to do the "what" explains the "why"...kind of...

Look at it this way...there's no loss of $$$ spent reading.

I'll be brewing again on Sat or Sun if you want to set up a session. Either day is good by me. Let me know if those days are good. I'm open.

I can't do it Turkey Day weekend (a 4 day which I'll miss) as I am going to Korea for a couple of weeks.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #134
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Very true. Steeping extracts around 40%, so with 2 lbs that'll be 80% - for 1 gal of water. Sometimes I will reduce my steeping water to 3/4 gal and sparge with the same bringing it to 1.5 where I usually start.

It really depends (on my mood at the time) and the recipe, but at 2 gals of water I will also add 1 lb DME to try to get it near a 1.040 gravity.

NOTE: I didn't right down EVERY step I do......
I don't want to pick nits here, but I've never heard that about steeping. While I've always suspected that steeping grains extracts fermentables most of the literature discounts that. Palmer's site does list some empirical data about fermentables extracted in steeping, but it really is minimal. So the question I have is what type of grains are you steeping? 2 pounds seems like a lot for specialty grains, so I'm guessing you're steeping some base malt which probably would allow you to extract some fermentables.

All that aside, I really like your procedures and think they would be useful. As I said, I think a 1.5 gallon boil would boil quicker and better and it would certainly be easier/quicker to cool. I also like the hint about using clothespins to attach a nylon strainer to your bucket. Thanks for the tips. They'll sure make my brew day go better.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #135
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

No, go ahead pick my nit!!

Go to Recipator: http://hbd.org/recipator/ Their default for steeping 40%.

I've been an off/on instructor most of my life so I am well aware that if you are taught wrong you teach wrong..., but that's what I based my calculations on.

As for my grains...whatever I have on hand for the recipe is what I use. If the recipe calls for a Belgium Munich malt and I have another Munich malt I'll use it. Mostly I use a Briess 2-row Pale Malt (grain).

So, are you really on the western side of Pike's Peak? I've been to the Springs seveal times. My wife says she won't go back. Last time we were there (with my mother) she, my wife, lost a gall bladder and my mom dies 6 months later...that's all true except for my wife not wanting to go back.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 11-13-2007 at 11:29 PM.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #136
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I'll be brewing again on Sat or Sun if you want to set up a session. Either day is good by me. Let me know if those days are good. I'm open.

I can't do it Turkey Day weekend (a 4 day which I'll miss) as I am going to Korea for a couple of weeks.
I'm still trying to figure my weekend out. A friend from college is coming down sometime, but I'm not sure when yet (probably Sunday), and I've got a batch to bottle. I MAY be free sometime on Saturday, but I can't really set up any plans until I get a commitment from my buddy.

Then I'm gone over Thanksgiving, too, and I haven't even thought about anything after that yet.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 AM   #137
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I'm afraid after I get back from Korea I'll be tiling the basement floor until just before Christmas...

I hope to have it done in time for any family showing up.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:13 AM   #138
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
So, are you really on the western side of Pike's Peak? I've been to the Springs seveal times. My wife says she won't go back. Last time we were there (with my mother) she, my wife, lost a gall bladder and my mom dies 6 months later...that's all true except for my wife not wanting to go back.
Yep, I sure am. As the crow flies I'm about 10 miles from the Springs, but I've got to go around Pikes Peak to get there so it's about 25 miles. And I've been to the Quad Cities a few times. Needless to say I went to school at Iowa State. Many of my ex-in-laws are from that part of Iowa. If you can talk your wife into coming out this way again, look me up. We can share a brew.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #139
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
Yep, I sure am. As the crow flies I'm about 10 miles from the Springs, but I've got to go around Pikes Peak to get there so it's about 25 miles. And I've been to the Quad Cities a few times. Needless to say I went to school at Iowa State. Many of my ex-in-laws are from that part of Iowa. If you can talk your wife into coming out this way again, look me up. We can share a brew.
Will do...
I have an old room mate out there that works for the Space Command. We had a few beers last time I was there.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #140
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
Hey, Colorado Guy!

I'm in Western Littleton, about five miles as the crow flies from Red Rocks Ampitheater.

I actually have something to add to this discussion, too. I decided for my most recent brew (I've been at it a while, but new to HBT) to go for a short, full-volume boil with almost all of the DME added late. My IPA had 1.5 lb of steeping grains (1 lb of vienna and 1/2 lb Crystal), and 7 lbs of light DME.

I did a half-hour boil of the liquor from the steeping grains, all the water, and 1 lb of malt, along with 1 oz of Chinook (16.8%aa). I added the remaining 6 lb of light DME, and 1/2 oz of Cascades (6%aa) with 15 minutes left, and another 1/2 oz of Cascades at flameout.

BeerSmith predicted 65.7 IBU for this short boil and hop schedule, and after tasting the wort, I'll believe it.

Anyhow, the whole mess is bubbling away happily in primary. I'll try to remember to report back after tasting.

Quick Reply