New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract addition in last 15min of boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #111
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Yes, the higher the gravity, the less hops utilization you'll get. It's not a problem if you're happy with what you're getting, though. I noticed that when I started doing late extract additions, the beers were about twice as bitter in IBUs. I used brewing software to find out the best way to hop my favorites. Maybe an easy way to save a few $$ on hops!
I understand the principle of what is being discussed here (great thread by the way) but I'm a bit cloudy on the specifics in terms of adjustments to how much *ME to add and when and how much hops to add and when relative to the length of the boil.

I like hoppy beer and I'll want to get the most out of them in the future. What software are you using?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #112
Neomich
Recipes 

I tried this on my most recent batch of Belgian Wit. My last BW was a little on the sweet side for me so I added a portion of the LME at the beginning of the boil and then dumped in the rest at the end. This batch has a good amount of bitterness although it is a little much for a Belgian Wit to me. I think I put in around 25% of the total LME at the beginning. The color is much lighter than my last batch though. Maybe next time I'll do a half-and-half addition.

Both batches are very drinkable but just a little on each side of the sweet/bitter flavor profile to my taste.

I'm interested to see how my SNPA works out using this method.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Old 11-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #113
Aiko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomich
I tried this on my most recent batch of Belgian Wit. My last BW was a little on the sweet side for me so I added a portion of the LME at the beginning of the boil and then dumped in the rest at the end. This batch has a good amount of bitterness although it is a little much for a Belgian Wit to me. I think I put in around 25% of the total LME at the beginning. The color is much lighter than my last batch though. Maybe next time I'll do a half-and-half addition.
I asked this question months ago on this site and the responders said to do the 1/2 and 1/2 solution to lighten the color. I did it with my Hefe and was very happy with the results. Ever since I have been doing this with great results. I tried a 1/4 to 3/4 (last 15 min.) with my latest Belgian Wit and it looks perfect and tastes right on.
Im a little confused, are people saying to add the last portion of the *ME in the latst 15 min AFTER the 60min boil? or in the last 15min OF the 60min boil? I added mine at 45 min into the boil. One thing I have noticed doing this is that I get a 2nd hot break, somthing to watch out for.
Drinking:

On Deck:

Old 11-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #114
Neomich
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiko
Im a little confused, are people saying to add the last portion of the *ME in the latst 15 min AFTER the 60min boil? or in the last 15min OF the 60min boil? I added mine at 45 min into the boil.

I took it to mean the last 15 minutes OF the 60 minute boil. That's what I did.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #115
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I turn the flame off at 45 mins and steep the rest for 15.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:45 PM   #116
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

<<I'm interested to see how my SNPA works out using this method.>>

I did half and half with LME on the SNPA clone i just brewed last saturday. Its fermenting now. 3.3 lbs @ the beginning of the boil, the other 3.3 lbs @ 20 min left in the boil. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I did the same thing with the Alpha King clone I brewed but it still came out a bit dark. Tastes great though. The aroma is almost spot on to a real Alpha King, the taste, while I can tell its not a real Alpha King is pretty darn close. I certainly don't mind knocking back a few.

I didn't really adjust the hops at all in the AK or the SNPA. Just did the additions as I normally would as if I had added it all at the beginning. I figure if it comes out a little bit hoppier, or a little more bitter, no big deal. I wasn't worried about hitting exact IBUs, etc. Just wanted a good enjoyable brew in the style of what I was cloning.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #117
IowaStateFan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I turn the flame off at 45 mins and steep the rest for 15.
I did that but wasn't getting enough flavor from my late addition hops. I now boil for the full 60 minutes, turn out the flame and steep the rest of my extract for 15 minutes.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #118
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
I did that but wasn't getting enough flavor from my late addition hops. I now boil for the full 60 minutes, turn out the flame and steep the rest of my extract for 15 minutes.
This is what I was thinking of for my next batch. Sorry for the noob questions but if the late addition (post flame out) is DME will it fully disolve without the heat? Wouldn't stiring it cool it down even faster and impact how well it disolves?

Sounds like I don't need to adjust my hops if I go half and half (I'm also not technical enough to calculate how to adjust and when to add based on *ME changes...although software is something I'll have to look into)

Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #119
Neomich
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStateFan
This sounds like a good idea. My last batch doesn't have much hops flavor and it's probably because all that LME that was in there. I'll definitely use this on my next batch. It's a Pale Rye Ale and there's no such thing as too hoppy with that.

-Frank Zappa

Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #120
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
This is what I was thinking of for my next batch. Sorry for the noob questions but if the late addition (post flame out) is DME will it fully disolve without the heat? Wouldn't stiring it cool it down even faster and impact how well it disolves?

Sounds like I don't need to adjust my hops if I go half and half (I'm also not technical enough to calculate how to adjust and when to add based on *ME changes...although software is something I'll have to look into)
Yes, it will dissolve. Add it 1 lb at a time and dissolve before adding the next lb.

Remember, you are starting at 212F and pasteurization takes place at what 160-180F?

As for your hop adjustment check out the Hop Utilization Chart in Charlie P's TCJOHB.

Quick Reply