Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extract addition in last 15min of boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #101
beerdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I was thinking I could reduce the amount of hops due to increased utilization from late LME addition or decreasing the boil time should work too. Would this work? Is there any reason why you have to boil for one hour?

I made a late LME addition batch. It is a scottish ale 12 # amber LME. I added 1/2 early when I first got the water to boil. I only did a 50 minute boil to make up for increased hops utilization. Thinking about it now I probably should have done 40-45 minutes. I added the second half of the LME with 10 minutes left on the boil.

So what do the experts say about this method? I wouldn't recommend trying it until we get some feedback.

Primary #1 Panty Dropper Cider
Primary #2 Honey Brown Ale
Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Panty Dropper Cider
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA
More Double IPA it was great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #102
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Chances are your LME is already hopped and all you would have to do is a 15 min boil to pasteurize the wort....

Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #103
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You shouldn't boil a prehopped extract at all.
It will be sanitised before it is canned.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #104
beerdad
Recipes 

It wasn't prehopped. There were 2 ounces of hops to add. I added 1 oz at the start of the 50 minute boil (said add with 60 minutes left in the instructions), 1/2 oz at 15 minutes left and 1/2 oz with 5 minutes left.

Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA

Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 PM   #105
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just because they gave you hops to add doesn't mean it wasn't pre-hopped. Check the can label it'll tell you if it's pre-hopped or not.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #106
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently did a late extract brew adding half at the start and the other half the last 15 minutes of a 90 minute boil (LME). I didn't adjust my hops and the reason is that is why I did a late addition in the first place....more hop utilization.
I remember reading in BYO that extract brews really don't get much out of the hops because they are too concentrated and the way to get the most bang for your buck so to speak, was an extract late.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #107
beerdad
Recipes 

I'm pretty sure it's not pre hopped. It's a scotch ale not scottish ale like I said before. This is the exact kit.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=386

Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Drinking Double IPA

Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 AM   #108
StallionMang
Recipes 

Default Re:

Wow! I'm glad I found this discussion thread. Great topic. In regard to determining whether the wort has already been through hot break prior to the creation of the extract and whether it is really necessary to boil the extract, John Palmer addresses these issues very clearly in the 3rd edition of his "How To Brew" book. Unfortunately, he did not do this in the original 1st edition, which is the one that is freely available online.

I definitely recommend purchasing the 3rd edition. I'm not going to transcribe it all here, but to summarize his intro to Chapter 7: "Boiling and Cooling", he acknowledges that the extract has already been through hot break, but he states that the traditional benefits of boiling all of the extract for the full 60 minutes include "sanitization of all the extract and a very thorough hot break (coagulation) of any remaining protein from the extract manufacturing process". In other words, don't trust that the extract manufacturer fully boiled off all of those proteins.

However, he then goes on to point out that doing a boil in this manner results in some problems, namely "reduced hop isomerization, poorer foam stability, and flavor changes from Maillard reactions". He concludes the intro with the following statement:

"One partial solution to all these issues is to reduce the gravity of the boil by saving some of the extract until the end of the boil. This last extract can be boiled for just a few minutes for pasteurization and then cooled and diluted in the fermenter as before. The result is less wort darkening, better foam stability, and a reduction of potential off-flavors. I have made very good extract beers with this method; your mileage may vary".

So there you go.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 11-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #109
brewdoctor
Recipes 

I'm a newbie here, but I have several batches under my belt. Is the only reason for a short boil (15 minutes) to prevent darkening?? Since I brew mostly porters and stouts I'm not worried about color. Or should I be? Does the camaliziation (<<is that a real word) cause anything more than a darker brew? Does it affect taste?

Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #110
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Yes, the higher the gravity, the less hops utilization you'll get. It's not a problem if you're happy with what you're getting, though. I noticed that when I started doing late extract additions, the beers were about twice as bitter in IBUs. I used brewing software to find out the best way to hop my favorites. Maybe an easy way to save a few $$ on hops!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply