Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > extra light extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
neldred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How can a full boil be done, but still have a late edition extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by neldred View Post
How can a full boil be done, but still have a late edition extract?
You add an amount anywhere from 1 pound to half your extract in the initial boil....following the recipe for the hop additions, then at around the 15-20 minute remaining mark, you add the remainder of the extract.

The early extract is to help your hop isomeration.....but if your recipe called for any steeping grains, you can even skip the early extract addition and go for the total late, especially if, as some recipes call for there is a bit of two-row (Like kits from Austin Homebrew).

When I am formulating any extract with grain recipes I ALWAYS base it around Extralight DME, then I get all my flavor and color complexity from my steeping (or partial mashing) grains. That way you get to use more and varied grains.

For example, let's say you are making an amber ale....If you based it around amber extract, you have very little room to get complexity from roasted or crystalized grains.....you run the risk of muddying the flavor and ending up too dark for your recipe.....

Staying with my Amber example...The Srm range for that style is SRM: 10 – 17 so if your base extract already puts you into 14 srms, you son't have much room to move around it....you may be able to sneak in a pound of crystal 30 let's say in it.

But if your Extralight DME has a color of 5 SRMs, you can really get into the recipe and play around with different combinations of grains until you get into the right color and Og range for the style.

It's kind of like making model airplanes....remember the "snap together" types that you started out with? You had maybe 8 pieces; 2 body halves two front wings, 2 rear wings and maybe 2 pieces for a cockpit, or two pieces for landing gear...

But if you got one of those 500 piece b52 bomber kits....you had a much more complex final product.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
neldred
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you Revvy

Another question then, trying to figure out water amount (let's base it on a 5 gallon since that's the most common)...

Steeping is done either in water, or in a "light wort". Let's say for a minute the water method is easiest.

So if I want to do a 1. Full Boil with extra light/pilsen DME how much water do I add there for the 'full boil' (with late addition DME), and how much water should be used for steeping.

Both the boil of the wort, and the steeping will produce evaporation, so do you guys just add water at the very end to make up for whatever is under 5 gallons?

And also, with late addition extract added, aren't the IBU's from the hops going to be far less than with a full or mostly full boil? Do you just double the hops, but then you would need to know ahead of time how much water is going to be added. Sorry for all the questions, I'm still on the newby 2 gallon kit (6th batch) and am definitely ready for the next step.

Quick Reply