Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Extract Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/)
-   -   extra light extract (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/extra-light-extract-58132/)

chemist308 03-08-2008 06:29 PM

extra light extract
 
I've noticed most recipes I've used take light LME extract. But as discussed at length in previous threads, light LME will create a beer with a light taste but a dark color. Light LME itself does not appear all that light to me. For stout it doesn't matter, but for pales folks have a little trouble understanding that my dark beer will have the taste of a pale.

So I was wondering, what about using Muntons extra light LME or Northern Brewers Pilsen LME? Will those create a beer with a much lighter appearance without compromising flavor and ABV content?

chillHayze 03-08-2008 07:43 PM

Yes.
Also try a larger boil and late extract addition. Add one lb at 60 min as usual, then save the rest to add at 15 min.
You can use DME (powder extract) as it tends not to scorch as much, makes a lighter beer, and just taste less extract-ey.

chemist308 03-09-2008 03:09 AM

Great. Should I use more of the extra light or pilsen LME to ensure consistent flavor?

If so, say I would normally use 6.6# of light LME for a pale ale. How much of the extra light LME would I be using for the same flavor with a lighter color?

Thanks again.

Chello 03-09-2008 03:13 AM

you should use the same amount of light and extra light extract.

Kayos 03-09-2008 03:16 AM

+1 late addition and extra light DME.

homebrewer_99 03-09-2008 04:11 AM

Search for the late addition method and switch over to DME.;)

chillHayze 03-09-2008 04:21 AM

The flavor really is very similar extra light to dark in extracts. Main changes are from brand to brand. Some brands have different fermentability characteristics, which is the main perception of body in beer. Look for the most fermentability for a lighter body.

NitrouStang96 03-09-2008 04:45 AM

My LHBS told me that they don't carry extra light DME because there's really no difference between light and extra light. My bottled but not yet sampled attempt at Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde with plain light DME is EXTREMELY clear and light even before filling the bottles - my attempt at Edwort's Haus Pale Ale is almost as clear and light with light DME (it had more steeped grains to account for the slightly darker and thicker color).

I added 25% of my DME for the full 60min boil and the remaining 75% with 15min left. This will be your best bet, and you will be pleased. It will look darker in your fermenter, but it will look like bud light in the bottle.

skou 03-09-2008 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitrouStang96
My LHBS told me that they don't carry extra light DME because there's really no difference between light and extra light.

You just may want to shop for a real LHBS, if this is the case. There is a REAL difference. Find a LHBS who believes this, or try mail-order.

(I should know, I bagged down MANY 50 or 55 pound bags of light and XL DME.)( I used to work at the LHBS.)

Oh, the late addition is a great way to keep your beer light colored.

steve

Warrior 03-09-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemist308
I've noticed most recipes I've used take light LME extract. But as discussed at length in previous threads, light LME will create a beer with a light taste but a dark color. Light LME itself does not appear all that light to me. For stout it doesn't matter, but for pales folks have a little trouble understanding that my dark beer will have the taste of a pale.

So I was wondering, what about using Muntons extra light LME or Northern Brewers Pilsen LME? Will those create a beer with a much lighter appearance without compromising flavor and ABV content?

I would switch to the ex light DME. It is much cheaper in bulk by the 50 lb bag. Check with your LHBS and see if he can order you the Breiss ex light DME. This is a very fermentable DME and produces very light beers. To get more dextrins you could do a small partial mash to give you more body and unfermentable sugars in your beers.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:06 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.